England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Richie Porte never had this trouble.

He had a lot more.

doughnut

Veteran
My legs are still working this morning after the Holme Moss ride yesterday, so I'm back in again. 2.5 hours on the train each way though, so I am trying to work out an alternative - only took me 45 mins to get there in the car!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My legs are still working this morning after the Holme Moss ride yesterday, so I'm back in again. 2.5 hours on the train each way though, so I am trying to work out an alternative - only took me 45 mins to get there in the car!

Great stuff!
Hope you can get your transport sorted so you can have a few beers in the Oakwood after the ride. All I've got to do is get a wheel sorted

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you have to postpone I could be free of childcare duties - he says, more in Hope than Castleton....

Hopefully I'll know the situation re my rear wheel tomorrow. Ideally I want the importer to agree it's a warranty issue using photos. That way I can get a new wheel under warranty in plenty of time before the ride on Saturday. If they insist on having it returned to them I won't have time to get it sorted before Saturday. In that case the best option is to borrow a wheel from some kind soul. If that isn't possible (I don't know about compatibility with my Campagnolo groupset) then I need to ride another bike. I have an old hybrid I could ride but it's not ideal for a tough ride like this.

I don't want to postpone as folk have this pencilled in and may not be available at a later date. I should have a fair idea how the land lies tomorrow

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
IT'S DEFINITELY ON !!!!!

A friend has lent me a compatible wheel so even if I don't get the warranty replacement in time I'm good to go

@dan_bo , @I like Skol , @BRounsley @Martin Archer @doughnut @Kestevan @skudupnorth

0900 Glossop train station. For anyone driving there is a free car park but it's quite small so may be full by 9am. Plenty of free parking on nearby streets.

Should be about an hour to Holmfirth so Kestevan please let us know where you plan to meet us. Bearing in mind my hopeless track record re ride timings I guess we will be back in Glossop about 1600 (this gives plenty of time in the two cafes). Hopefully we can all have a beer or three in the Oakwood. They also do food

If you want the gpx then please get it from the ridewithgps link in post #1

Weather forecast is looking decent for Saturday atm, plenty of sunshine and no rain.

Anyone else fancy a challenging but extremely rewarding ride in one of the best cycling areas in the country just post up and I'll add you to the list

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Seeing as you'll be passing my front door, just give me a knock :smile:

Actually I'll get out for a quick warm up beforehand. I'll meet you in the carpark in the centre of holmfirth..

I'll pm you my phone no, in case you're delayed by mechanicals or get attacked by wolves on holme moss.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
May do it :smile:

Without me reading seven pages, can someone give time, place of start and a idea of the route.

May also bail out early as Im unfit :/

Thanks

John

BRounsley

Über Member
I’ve sorted my route to Glossop. Nothing like adding another 1,500ft and 18 miles!!!

I’m planning to leave the house at 7:30am so I should be in Glossop before 9am.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
May do it :smile:

Without me reading seven pages, can someone give time, place of start and a idea of the route.

May also bail out early as Im unfit :/

Thanks

John

0900 Glossop Train Station this Saturday. Route is on post #1 of the thread. There area a couple of bail-out options.

1) After climb out of Homfirth you could go back to Glossop via Dunford Bridge. That's about 30 miles total

2) After Strines you could go back to Glossop via Snake Pass. That's about 50 miles total

Of course in bailing you have to buy the first round in the pub in Glossop. It's the ride roolz, innit

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I’ve sorted my route to Glossop. Nothing like adding another 1,500ft and 18 miles!!!

I’m planning to leave the house at 7:30am so I should be in Glossop before 9am.

Deffo flattest way to Glossop train station once fairly local is A57 to Wooley Bridge via the roundabout at the end of the M67 then continue along A57 which becomes Glossop High Street. How to get to A57 from deepest darkest Chorlton, I have no idea

Edit - I've just done a fast ridewithgps from Chorlton to Glossop via the above route and it's about 900ft of climbing so you might want to have another look at the route

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't want to curse things just yet but Saturday in Holmfirth looks ok...
upload_2015-5-27_21-55-45.png

Maybe we should just find a beer garden there?

Top Bottom