pedal removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the non-drive side one off without to much difficulty. However the drive side is still resisting. Off to douse more penetrating oil on it. Any tips would be gratefully recieved, easier to leave the crank on the bike or not. Unfortunately I don't have the means to direct much heat on it and was yesterday standing on the pedal spanner. BTW looking to drive the thread anticlockwise.

the snail

Guru
I'd pour boiling water on the crank, get someone to sit on the bike with the brakes on, put some metal tube on the end of the spanner and stand on it. Watch out for injuring yourself on the chainrings...

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Digging out my fave set of walking socks for this job and going to have another crack. Not sure what to use as a spanner extension as the bit of old tubing I have will not go over the handle.

gasinayr

Über Member
Put something solid under the crank( a brick ) to take up the spring in the metal, and try with spanner and extension should come off ok

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Put something solid under the crank( a brick ) to take up the spring in the metal, and try with spanner and extension should come off ok

Excellant plan, just what I was looking for. Just need to go out and find a suitable object now, more suitable than a lighter on full whack anyway.

coco69

Veteran
4ft bar and a 15mm spanner works well

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Turn the crank so that the right hand pedal is as far forward as it will go (crank running horizontal) and then fit the pedal spanner so that it points to the back of the bicycle. Now lean over the bicycle and apply the brakes firmly and then use your foot on the end of the pedal spanner to push the spanner downwards while utilising a friend to put downward pressure on the right side pedal to stop it rotating backwards.
If you are Billy No Mates you can lean the left side of the bicycle against a wall and then stand on the pedal with your right foot while exerting downwards pressure with your left foot.
This method works well but will only work if you have a good quality pedal spanner with a sufficiently long handle to exert the leverage required. It would be so much easier if people applied anti seize when fitting pedals etc........

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Got it. What with bricks, lighters and extension bars. What cut it was the trusty 8" Bahco adjustable, as this old quill pedal had flats somewhere between 14 and 15 mil.

Top Bottom