Pendleton bikes, the good lady wants one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I've seen the Pendleton Somerby in Halfords, they look like a really nice girly bike. The Pendleton Dalby looks ok too and a bit more versatile. Not too heavy either for hybrids. Sorry don't know anyone who's tried them but they look good and distinctive for the price and I'm guessing they should be ok quality wise as VP has put her name to them.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Id not seen them before, id have imagined they would have been more sporty like the Boardmans given her olympic background.

The gearing on the Somerby looks pretty limited for any hills for newer/unfit riders too.

Lee_M

Guru
I dont think they're meant for racing and hills, they're meant for girly shoppers arent they? BTW This isnt meant to be disparaging, but I think VP and whoever is working with her has decided that the way forward for her future is the 'fashionable' end of the market, not the lycra clad sweaties that end up on forums like this one

Pauluk

Mr Jamie said:
The gearing on the Somerby looks pretty limited for any hills for newer/unfit riders too.

Yes it does. I think VP said she wanted to create a bike that women could just jump on and go to the shops etc. The Dalby looks a bit better for the more hilly stuff cus I think that one has two chain wheels up front.

I don't think they are the most practical in terms of gearing/hill work but they do have that girly appeal. Will your other half really be tackling big hills even if she had say 24 gears.

Pauluk

Lee_M said:
I dont think they're meant for racing and hills, they're meant for girly shoppers arent they? BTW This isnt meant to be disparaging, but I think VP and whoever is working with her has decided that the way forward for her future is the 'fashionable' end of the market, not the lycra clad sweaties that end up on forums like this one
Did you mean sweaties or sweeties :laugh:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yes it does. I think VP said she wanted to create a bike that women could just jump on and go to the shops etc. The Dalby looks a bit better for the more hilly stuff cus I think that one has two chain wheels up front.

I don't think they are the most practical in terms of gearing/hill work but they do have that girly appeal. Will your other half really be tackling big hills even if she had say 24 gears.
The description is a little sparse, but it looks like the Dalby has a shimano megarange x-32/34 cassette or equivilent from the picture, which should be pretty decent for hills, the Somerby less so.

They look decent enough for the money IMHO and i suspect theres a decent market for women wanting a girly bike without "too many gears" too. I guess theres plenty of alternatives for people wanting a female boardman type range :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
i suspect theres a decent market for women wanting a girly bike without "too many gears" too.
Spot on: I ride my geared bikes mostly as fixed, because I'm too lazy to change gear - by the time I think about changing, it's time to change again.
Too much hassle, faster to just change pedaling speed :girl:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I had a Viking -pretty, girly bike with a step through frame and a basket but with 18 gears. Rode the Hadrian's Wall cycle route on it witout too many issues.

Relatively cheap too- Viking Vision

Herr-B

I suppose the thinking behind the range is get girls on two wheels, not making them fast. And Halfords as a purchase point makes sense as they're everywhere.

But you can bet your bottom dollar than Miss P hasn't bought anything from Halfords for the last decade or so.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Mrs LF has the "Brooke". Seems OK I guess. Not the lightest bike, but is perfect for what she wants it for (pootling about on family rides on roads and light tracks)

Top Bottom