penny pinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

The oik at the off license today didn't give me my 1p change from a fiver, as if he just couldn't be bothered getting it out for me.

Now, I normally say 'put the penny in the cancer box'... but there is a weird moment when the member of staff thinks I'm doing them a favour, but actually not.

So.... I want the penny handed back to me so I can put it in the box myself.

It's only in offies as well. Why do they assume that if you drink you've stopped caring? It doesn't happen in newsagents I can tell you.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You 'care' enough to donate a whole penny? You're not Lance Armstrong in disguise are you?:smile:

Lance Arbitstrong perhaps!

Say it takes 5 seconds to get your penny.

That is 12p/ minute or £7.20 per hour. That is more than I earn at the moment!

If you leave it with the shop they will not put it in the charity tin.

Take your 1ps. Say you get one a day, then give an extra fiver to a charity some time and gift aid it to turn it into £5.75.

redjedi

Über Member
Collect all your loose change and put it in a jar. When the jar's full, take it to one of the coin couting machines at the supermarket.

I have a large jam jar, which when full is about £50 worth and gets emptied twice a year.

thomas

the tank engine
redjedi said:
Collect all your loose change and put it in a jar. When the jar's full, take it to one of the coin couting machines at the supermarket.

Just take it to the bank - then you won't get charged for half of it...or do what I did and take £10 worth of pennies, 2ps and 5ps into work, dump them into the till when no one was looking and take a nice crisp £10 ;). The manager had to count each coin before taking them to the bank and when he found out what I'd done he called me "the little sh..." - he did see the funny side though!
Say it takes 5 seconds to get your penny.

That is 12p/ minute or £7.20 per hour. That is more than I earn at the moment!

Tis true...picking up pennies works out at quite a good rate.

redjedi

Über Member
thomas said:
Just take it to the bank - then you won't get charged for half of it...or do what I did and take £10 worth of pennies, 2ps and 5ps into work, dump them into the till when no one was looking and take a nice crisp £10 ;). The manager had to count each coin before taking them to the bank and when he found out what I'd done he called me "the little sh..." - he did see the funny side though!

But banks will only take a few bags at a time, 5 I think, unless it's a childs account. And then you've got to sort through it all, count it and put it into seperate bags.

No thanks, I'll pay the few pence per pound and let a machine do it for me.

bonj2

thomas said:
Just take it to the bank - then you won't get charged for half of it...or do what I did and take £10 worth of pennies, 2ps and 5ps into work, dump them into the till when no one was looking and take a nice crisp £10 :cry:. The manager had to count each coin before taking them to the bank and when he found out what I'd done he called me "the little sh..." - he did see the funny side though!

you can get machines which weigh them you know.
they can not only tell how much of a certain coin is there but what type of coin it is (as long as they're all the same type of coin)
they work with notes as well
they had one when i worked in makro, but only one - and everyone cashed up at the same time so all but one had to count. The women who had been working there for ages had developed over the years the knack of bagging it for themselves and hogging it, the duplicitous set of bints ;);)

Arch

Married to Night Train
redjedi said:
But banks will only take a few bags at a time, 5 I think, unless it's a childs account. And then you've got to sort through it all, count it and put it into seperate bags.

No thanks, I'll pay the few pence per pound and let a machine do it for me.

The big branch of HSBC here in York has a coin deposit machine, you just stick your card in, then tip your loose change in (unsorted) and it counts it and puts it in your account, no charge. Only good for HSBC accounts of course, but other banks may have the same...

Top Bottom