People's expectations when flying.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Even before coping strategies etc I could fly out of City airport and even have breakfast whilst there. At Gatwick or Heathrow I was always on the verge of throwing up.
What, are their breakfasts' not very nice?? :whistle:

Seriously though, I try and not let it bother me, but I must admit that the whole having to get everything sorted and through security, especially if it is busy and your plane's departure is rapidly approaching is a bit of a tyranny.
I once flew from Standstead back home to Glasgow and it was just after the liquid bomber plot had been uncovered, so security was like a 3 ringed circus.
I had arrived in reasonable time, but only just got through in time to catch my plane, provided I ran (it was Queazyjet ironically enough).

With new rules and gawd knows what else coming in all the time, is it any wonder I take the train when I can?

When I flew all the way from Beijing to Paris last week, I expected there to be more than 2 engines. 2 is clearly not enough for such a large plane as a 777, and what if one goes wrong?

So refused to board until they fitted another.

They are more than capable of flying with the one, but yes, I do sometimes have to wonder about the wisdom of only having two power plants instead of more.
'Tis all down to money and fuel efficiency and all that parlarvar though.

Last edited:

KEEF

Veteran
image.jpeg
Fly Keef. no delays ever

classic33

Leg End Member
When I flew all the way from Beijing to Paris last week, I expected there to be more than 2 engines. 2 is clearly not enough for such a large plane as a 777, and what if one goes wrong?

So refused to board until they fitted another.
How far was that glide over the Atlantic, when they ran out of fuel. 72Km?

martint235

Dog on a bike
What, are their breakfasts' not very nice?? :whistle:

Seriously though, I try and not let it bother me, but I must admit that the whole having to get everything sorted and through security, especially if it is busy and your plane's departure is rapidly approaching is a bit of a tyranny.
I always set off for an airport with this attitude. Unfortunately panic attacks tend to thumb their noses at things like logic. I have to be honest got much better at coping but I'd say it's still very unlikely I'll eat before a flight. I no longer drink massive amounts of beer though.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is still able to go with the two, in fact it is just about able to go on one engine, but you want to look into getting down if you have already had 3 engines fail on you!

That 5th engine is, of course, how they can ferry spares around the place.
Three engines on one side though. Try rowing a boat with only one paddle, on one side!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Three engines on one side though. Try rowing a boat with only one paddle, on one side!

Oh they can adjust for that, don't worry, and that 5th engine wont be working either, so it is still only 4 power plants available for use.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Not really an issue if you flying around a big globe shaped thing called earth!

It's like old joke of Haggis having one leg longer than the other so they can run round hills, and the way to catch them is to make them change direction, therefore making them topple off down the hill towards someone with a large sack!

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
On my way back from Orlando,have i mentioned i have been away.I had a row of seats to myself.Having long legs my wife paid extra for me and i sat with a young couple going out.On the way back,nobody claimed the two other seats,i had three seats to myself.Part way home,Mrs Postman moved rows and sat with me.it was great having all that extra room.There were seven of us in our family party.Four of us paid extra for leg room hence the reason i was sat with another couple 3x3x1.Kay was in a normal seat two rows behind me sitting with her Sister,when she moved forward,it gave them extra room also.The cabin crew were great about it,no problems.

Top Bottom