Perfect example of car-dependence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
This morning was a typical Saturday morning: I walked 1.75km downhill to the nearest shopping complex, had breakfast there, bought some groceries, then walked home, uphill all the way, holding several bags of groceries. Not that difficult, you might say.

Except for some apparently it is! While eating breakfast, I read a newspaper, and wished I hadn't. The article below cites an example of a young woman who complains about taking 20 minutes to drive less than a mile to a gym. She could walk that distance, in the same time! Cases like these make me despair for our future. Here's the relevant quote from the article:
A simple five-minute, 1.5km trip to the gym takes Simone Gould 20 minutes on a Sunday as she battles traffic through Glen Waverley.

“I allow half the time of the actual class just to get to the gym on time - everyone seems to be on the road at the same time,” she said.
^^^ How ironic: everyone's on the road at the same time :rolleyes:.

The article is this one: http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...y-peakhour-crush/story-fnii5sms-1226929301262
Let me know if you can't read it, and I'll copy the article and photos so they can be viewed in this thread.

The article also has a go at cyclists, not surprising, given this is a predominantly anti-cyclist newspaper company, with the following:
As Melbourne becomes a cycling city, more car spaces and lanes are being ripped out for bike lanes - putting pressure on other roads.

A lane on Princes Bridge was removed for cyclists last year, causing traffic to be held up on St Kilda Rd, Swan St Bridge and Southbank Blvd.
No mention of the benefits of "ripping" car lanes out for bike lanes. Also, the Princes Bridge example is poorly chosen, and biased reporting, because Melbourne's very own Lord Mayor is on record as stating that the introduction of bike lanes on this bridge didn't signficantly affect traffic flow, and of course I don't need to sell the health and environmental benefits to any of you.

matth411

Veteran
What are the odds that she is trying to drive to the gym to sit on a stationary bike. :banghead:
Car dependency is an epidemic for NEARLY everyone that has a car, I say nearly because the cyclists who drive. As an example of someone I know dependant on a car, my neighbour drives the whole 300 yards to the shop. Then moans when she needs petrol or puts on weight.

rb58

Enigma
What are the odds that she is trying to drive to the gym to sit on a stationary bike.
I see this all the time at my gym. Plenty of bike parking, right by main reception under a CCTV camera. Yet mine is usually the only bike there. Worse though, I only use the gym for spin classes and at least half the class are cyclists. It's as though they can't see that the bike is a form of transport - for them it's something to be used on 'sportives'.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would be so embarrassed to admit to a paper that it took so long to drive to the gym! It always amazes me quite how many cars there are in the sports centre car park, though I do see a fair number arrive by either foot or on a bike.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I would be so embarrassed to admit to a paper that it took so long to drive to the gym! It always amazes me quite how many cars there are in the sports centre car park, though I do see a fair number arrive by either foot or on a bike.
What baffles me is that the paper reported this as if it was normal! No mention of alternatives, such as walking or riding to the gym, or just skipping the gym altogether in favour of walking or riding. It's just insanity.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'll admit to taking 10-15 mins in a car to do 2.5 miles to work, but only in the winter. (Costs nothing as it's a company car with free fuel)

I'm on the bike for 3/4 of the year unless it torrential

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
health-club.jpg

:banghead:

What are the odds that she is trying to drive to the gym to sit on a stationary bike. :banghead:
Car dependency is an epidemic for NEARLY everyone that has a car, I say nearly because the cyclists who drive. As an example of someone I know dependant on a car, my neighbour drives the whole 300 yards to the shop. Then moans when she needs petrol or puts on weight.

Whilst sitting in the car at the local shops (on our way home from a much longer +50 mile trip) I watched my neighbour pull into the parallel parking outside the dry cleaners. He walked into the shop, got his dry cleaning, walked back to his car, moved it 25 metres down the road to be outside the next shop (3 doors down if that), got out of the car, went into spar type shop, come back out with a pint of milk, get back into his car and drive off. I kid not! He had come from the direction of our homes and left in that direction...

Simone should be being listed as part of the problem, not a victim of it. If all the people who made short trips found other ways of travelling, then the people who actually need to drive, like those going long distances, carrying loads, ferrying children to sporting events, driving elderly parents about etc would be able to do it efficiently.

And Joseph, also in the article who is catching the train. It's a two or three mile trip in the inner suburbs of a huge city. Not having open roads is the price you pay for the other benefits of living centrally and so close to work.

ShipHill

When I was a rural cabbie (boooo!) my old boss told me a story once where a guy phoned for a cab to take him from The Queen's Head to the Nicedays shop in the same village.

Thinking they were not from the village my boss explained that the shop is directly opposite the pub.

"Yeah I know," came the reply "but it's raining and I don't want to get wet."

My boss took him and charged him the full £2.40 fare.

MarkF

Guru
There are 3 gyms near me, 2 mega ones, Nuffield Health Fitness & Wellbeing Centre (:rolleyes:) and a Marriot Hotel & Country Club (:rolleyes:), these 2 have mega car parks always chock full. I use the 3rd, it has no car park and you put your bikes in the basement. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom