Perfect example of car-dependence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
You've gotta be pretty naïve to think everyone should stop driving to the gym.

Why? It is a classic case of using a transport option unwisely if the gym is within a couple of miles.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
TP, it does seem sensible to take exercise to get to and from a gym when it's within easy walking/ running/ cycling distance especially if the roads are constantly blocked with traffic when you have the time to go there, as in the OP's illustration.

Mind you I don't understand why people take their dogs in cars to go for a walk or why people put bikes on the back of their cars to go for a bike ride, so I'm not really able to appreciate the reasoning.

stowie

Legendary Member
Because people have plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons for driving to the gym. Isn't that obvious?

Clearly not. I occasionally drive my wife and daughter to the gym if it is raining. I don't class this a "legitimate" reason, it is a choice. I don't think my choice should be catered for over other people making other choices - indeed my choice generates externalities which are not present in other choices, so I would accept if my choice had this cost factored in. I suspect that in cities where driving short distances isn't the norm there aren't desolate gyms devoid of customers because they cannot get to a gym without a using a car.

GrasB

Veteran
That theory works right up until you realise EVERY way you get to the gym has external consequences which need to be factored as additional costs of getting there. In fact requiring a gym to go to has a huge external cost factor... there is also external costs involved with having your own equipment or even doing non-equipment based exercise.

stowie

Legendary Member
That theory works right up until you realise EVERY way you get to the gym has external consequences which need to be factored as additional costs of getting there. In fact requiring a gym to go to has a huge external cost factor... there is also external costs involved with having your own equipment or even doing non-equipment based exercise.

Well, I am assuming the gym is already there, and the externalities of the gym don't change due to the patrons' choice of transport. If one just looks at transport then the external costs of private car use is considerable against many of the alternatives. Add this up with all the local trips that involve other places than the gym and the whole thing adds up considerably.

Tin Pot

Guru
TP, it does seem sensible to take exercise to get to and from a gym when it's within easy walking/ running/ cycling distance especially if the roads are constantly blocked with traffic when you have the time to go there, as in the OP's illustration.

Mind you I don't understand why people take their dogs in cars to go for a walk or why people put bikes on the back of their cars to go for a bike ride, so I'm not really able to appreciate the reasoning.
Usually it's time.

For example, a woman might drop the kids off at school 09:00 and need to get to the gym fast to join a 9:30 class. Maybe she has a hair appointment at 11:00 and wants to be well dressed when she gets there.

Maybe she isn't runner, or cyclist but likes Body Pump class with her friends?

Extra points for first the person to argue with my choice of example, rather than the point it makes.

I train between four and (albeit rarely) eleven hours a week, the one hour that is at the gym is after work, and I always drive for the convenience. I can see why it would be a huge hassle for others.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Usually it's time.

For example, a woman might drop the kids off at school 09:00 and need to get to the gym fast to join a 9:30 class. Maybe she has a hair appointment at 11:00 and wants to be well dressed when she gets there.

Extra points for first the person to argue with my choice of example, rather than the point it makes.

I train between four and (albeit rarely) eleven hours a week, the one hour that is at the gym is after work, and I always drive for the convenience. I can see why it would be a huge hassle for others.
Only flaw in your example is that the traffic-choked streets [to which your person contributes] prevents your person getting to any of their appointments on time... whereas if they walked they could: spend time with their children on the walk to school, walk to the hairdressers and to the gym without all the stress of being held up in queues.... if they all did that it's a plan without fault!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Usually it's time.

Your poor transport choices help kill 29000 people a year. Well done.

Tin Pot

Guru
Only flaw in your example is that the traffic-choked streets [to which your person contributes] prevents your person getting to any of their appointments on time... whereas if they walked they could: spend time with their children on the walk to school, walk to the hairdressers and to the gym without all the stress of being held up in queues.... if they all did that it's a plan without fault!

No traffic choked streets preventing me getting to the gym luckily - my example was to support why not everyone should be told to stop driving to the gym, and I think my example still stands :smile:

Top Bottom