Petition "To introduce a permanent, minimum passing distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This, as some Sates in the US have. And it works quite well
bmufl-addition.jpg
Ah, the "nice way code" made into road signs? :sad:

GuyBoden

Guru
Not enough petitioners.
If we got 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament

Government responded
"This Government currently does not have plans to legislate on a set minimum space e.g. 1 metre on roads with a speed limit of up to 30mph when overtaking a cyclist."

Current Highway code (UK)

Rule 163
Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162 to 167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

the-highway-code-rule-163.jpg

Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car. (Yeah, that would be nice.)

Attachments

• the-highway-code-rule-163.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not enough petitioners.
If we got 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament

Government responded
"This Government currently does not have plans to legislate on a set minimum space e.g. 1 metre on roads with a speed limit of up to 30mph when overtaking a cyclist."

Rule 163
Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162 to 167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car. (Yeah, that would be nice.)
Bloody Audi drivers. :whistle:

Attachments

96.7 KB · Views: 70

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Not enough petitioners.

Government responded

Rule 163

Rule 212

Rule 213

I hope not too many of your cyclists take that picture literally. In that situation, I'd be riding in the centre of the lane.

Attachments

96.7 KB · Views: 66

dim

I'd prefer to see a petition demanding that anyone over 65 years old needs to have a driving test done every year. (like a MOT for driving to make sure that you are capable of driving safe)

too many old farts on the road who cannot drive anymore.... these are the real hazards on the road .... they don't even realize that they are dangerous

dim

So why are insurance premiums so much higher for young drivers?

not sure .... what I can however say is that younger people have to do many hours with driving instructors before they get their licence, and have to learn the road signs etc. My daughter just got her licence and spend loads of money every weekend paying her AA driving instructor. She has only been driving her new car for 3 weeks so far, but drives well and is very confident. It's also not easy to get the licence, as if you make mistakes, you fail

But saying that, many youngsters show off and end up crashing, hence the higher premiums? (I'm guessing)

Some old people cannot even reverse park anymore and are a hazard on the roads. My mom was in her 80's and still drove, but I would never get into her car as a passenger. My brother eventually convinced her to stop driving

Drago

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, the act of obtaining a licence, and the act of driving safely and confidently in a live situation do not entirely overlap. One is about your ability to pass written and practical test, the other is about interacting with millions of other people, most of whom don't obey the regulations terribly well, and some of whom are so bad they become unpredictable for other road users.

not sure .... what I can however say is that younger people have to do many hours with driving instructors before they get their licence, and have to learn the road signs etc. My daughter just got her licence and spend loads of money every weekend paying her AA driving instructor. She has only been driving her new car for 3 weeks so far, but drives well and is very confident. It's also not easy to get the licence, as if you make mistakes, you fail

But saying that, many youngsters show off and end up crashing, hence the higher premiums? (I'm guessing)

Some old people cannot even reverse park anymore and are a hazard on the roads. My mom was in her 80's and still drove, but I would never get into her car as a passenger. My brother eventually convinced her to stop driving
I'd rather be on the roads with doddering old people who can't reverse and dent cars in car parks than over confident young people who could drive well, but don't , having high speed collisions .

Stinboy

Über Member
I think in general the passing distance has got better recently, could be down to the much publicized police schemes .

That's interesting. Obviously this is all anecdotal, but I've noticed the opposite recently. I've had more close passes and confrontational drivers in the last few weeks than I've had all year. Perhaps it's the nights drawing in, who knows? But it's pissing me right off.

When I was learning to drive (which is 20 years ago to be fair) the only instruction I received about dealing with cyclists on the road was 'they have a tendency to wobble'. :sad:

Top Bottom