peugeot dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scarygerbil

hi
I have just got hold of a old carbonite 103 with a built in lights and dynamo but the lights don't seem to work.
the problem is that it only has one wire going to the light does this mean it uses the bike frame as an earth?

hi
I have just got hold of a old carbonite 103 with a built in lights and dynamo but the lights don't seem to work.
the problem is that it only has one wire going to the light does this mean it uses the bike frame as an earth?

I take it that there are lights both front and rear? If that is the case then that would rule out a bulb being at fault. So there is a common fault , either the feed , dynamo, earth to the dynamo, or feed wire from the dynamo. Is there a fuse in the system?
You could simply test the dynamo if you had a bulb and some wire to connect to the dynamo outlets whilst you spun the wheel.

OP
OP
scarygerbil

scarygerbil

I have all the test equipment (I'm a service engineer) I was just trying to discover the circuit because if it is a frame earth I will clean all contact points

rhm

Yes, to answer your question, the bike frame serves as the ground.

Identify the place where the wire exits the dynamo. Test the connection from there to bulb socket. Then test the connection from the bare metal of the dynamo to the bulb socket. In my experience the problem is usually in the wire or in the socket, usually not in the ground.

Top Bottom