Photography, new camera, can't decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes and my 75-300mm which i can and do use hand held is the Full Frame equivalent of a 150-600mm lens. It's heavy, but nowhere near as heavy as a Full frame set up, and I routinely walk around with it dangling from a wrist strap.

Learnincurve

Before I bought my X20 I also looked at an X100s, it is a lovely camera, surprisingly chunky, I wasn't convinced in the end that a fixed 35mm would suit and also I'm not sure my photography capabilities could justify a £900 camera.

You can pick up the x100 for £200-£300 second hand now, and there really isn't much between it and the X100s that is worth the extra money. The 35mm fixed is a separate issue though, it's very very freeing not to have to bother about lenses but then this is from the POV of someone with more than one option.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's why I like the 30mm pancake lens on my Samsung Nx1100 so much :thumbsup:
Reminds me of the old 43mm pancake lenses that were offered with some 35mm cameras back in the day.

pentax_fa_43mm_f1.9_limited.jpg
manHCFUylr5KHU7_piBfKsA.jpg

I was going to buy the rx100 but I knew I would start hankering after the m2 so I bought that instead. But like you say, excellent camera and I always shoot wide open because ethen lens quickly drops off the aperture when zooming in.

I also bought a couple of Nikon's, a d5300 which is OK and a d7100 which is fantastic. Along with a few lenses, a 50mm 1.8, a 18-35 1.8 to join my 35mm 1.I and 18-200.

I also had a more or less camera but I didn't get on well with it. Focus too slow, battery not good, still too big to put in pocket, low light images are rubbish, no optical viewfinder. That's why I bought the Sony rx 100 m2, its everything I want that a more or less should have been.

You do know the rx100 m3 is out with better glass, processor and an awesome pop up view finder. I picked one up last week for the wife's birthday, she wanted something that she could adjust manually on the fly, take pictures almost as good as her D4 and connect wirelessly to her ipad/iphone. Reviews seem to tag the rx100 m3 as one of the best point and shoot available and from she's said this week it sounds like it is.

mustang1

Guru
You do know the rx100 m3 is out with better glass, processor and an awesome pop up view finder. I picked one up last week for the wife's birthday, she wanted something that she could adjust manually on the fly, take pictures almost as good as her D4 and connect wirelessly to her ipad/iphone. Reviews seem to tag the rx100 m3 as one of the best point and shoot available and from she's said this week it sounds like it is.
I didn't know but expected sooner or later a new model would be out. Its my backup camera so I don't want or need the very latest (unless I am purchase point).

That d4 must be awesome.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, I finally managed to win a G3 for a 122 after missing quite a few which went too high. Must be holiday season driving the prices up. I shall report back once I get it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

G3 arrived today

IMG_3985.JPG

First impressions:

Camera looks quite new and appears to have only taken a few hundred shots but it does have a couple of very small marks on the front. No marks on the screen.

Much smaller and lighter than my Pentax, in fact the pictures don't really give you a full impression of the difference. Quite a plasticky camera compared to the Pentax, especially the lens, which has got the notchiest zoom you can imagine and actually rattles when you shake it!

Going through the menus was no real problem and everything is self-evident, plus it has an idiot switch so you can just point and shoot. I quite like the touchscreen and the quick menus access. I haven't explored the custom buttons and so far haven't needed too. Electronic viewfinder is useful as you can't see the screen in bright sunlight too well but the view through it is nothing as compared to an SLR. Easy to operate, easy to review pictures and quite flexible.

Photo quality: Well on the basis of a few shots, not impressed. But none of my software will read the raw files yet. I'm just sorting that out. So far though, the old *ist D beats it hand down on dynamic range and detail but I'm not comparing apples and apples

I'm going to give this a chance but my initial instinct is this is not the camera for me and it will probably end up back on ebay. More to follow.

Learnincurve

Ai button!! I forgot the G3 had that. What that button is is witchcraft, it can change settings and adjust stuff much faster than you, for example it seems to be able to predict when wind is coming so if you are say, taking a shot of a dandelion head it will instantly switch to object tracking if there is a breeze.

I think your lens is a dud. That 14-42mm is very hit and miss, I had one that was tack sharp and another that was soft as mud, the rattling is something I've never seen on one before. On the plus side they sell well on ebay, personally I would get one of the sigma f/2.8s to replace it with, oddly enough they rattle as well a bit but all of them do so it's normal.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, I installed Silkypix which can do a Tiff conversion for a direct comparison. Need to take a few pictures and then I'll post up some comparisons but on the basis of few hours fiddling, anyone who fancies a nearly new G3 can pm now to register interest :smile:

akb

Veteran
The camera is only as good as the user. If its just for general snapping of family or out on a ride, then a small digital. I brought a Fuji Finepix F80EXR recently and am very impressed with it. Plus it fits in my pocket and also has the option for manual mode should I need it.

If you are looking for more control over your photos, then a DSLR or even something like the Olypus Pen are great little cameras.

Top Bottom