Photography, new camera, can't decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, I've kind of reached a decision, helped enormously by the trial of the G3.

Byegad is right. I need a tough camera for slipping into my jersey pocket and not caring about, just to capture 'moments'. As such I shall probably get a 2nd hand one off ebay and finally retire my ageing Canon S30.

I will keep an SLR, the G3 taught me that it's a format of camera I prefer. I can't yet decide which one. I've decided the K30 is fugly @laurence may well defend it's honour there. In the meantime the *ist D is good enough. I know it's limitations but it surprised me when I did some comparisons to the G3 and I'm less worried that's it's been left far behind. Provided I shoot with a good exposure and a low iso, it can still produce the goods. One of the other good things about the *ist D, is that it takes batteries and I don't have to cart a charger about. That may not suit everyone but it suits me. The K30 took an AA adaptor which I thought was a smart move. I also decided I'm no longer fixated on weatherproofing.

What I think I will do is change all my lenses and ditch a few bits and pieces I don't use, like the Tamrac kit bag and the Pentax flash. I currently have a 28-70 zoom which just lacks some punch, I'd like to replace that with a good 18-55. The 100mm macro is superb but hardly used and I'm no macro photographer I discovered. Flowers and insects don't interest me. So that can go to help fund the lens changes. Likewise the 70-210, which just goes a bit soft over 110/130. So a very good 18-55, a 40mm fixed and a better long zoom is what I will settle on.

At some point I'll change the camera and it may well depend on what I can get on ebay for a good price and a low shutter count. Even a 10D would be considered but more likely a K7 or a K5.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Better glass, more prime lenses are always a good investment, although camera bodies nowadays are capable of amazing things, and make a lot more difference in image quality now, than back in the day.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Sounds like that Panasonic is a right bargain and a really good way to see if a csc is for you. In your shoes would go for that.

If I could afford it I would replace my DSLR with this Fuji XE1 with a great 18-55 lens in a heartbeat. Also, Fuji supposed to be announcing the X30 any day - rumoured to have a 1" sensor. Will be a cracking camera if true.
I had a play with one of them and an xt-1 today and they are great cameras, best built I've handled. Slightly weird controls but I bet you'd get used to it pretty quickly. I had to get out before the salesman could press an interest free credit deal in my paw.

The Olympus cameras are really well made too. The M5 and M10 are lovely to handle. I'm not keen on electronic viewfinders though, even on the xt-1 which is supposed to be the best. I find the blurring of the image distracting when you move it. Never been keen on action on LCD telly's for the same reason.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I do like that XE1 and the X-Pro and the X100. Fuji seem to be on quite a roll at the moment. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to figure out how to use what I've got :rolleyes:

Doseone

Guru
I had a play with one of them and an xt-1 today and they are great cameras, best built I've handled. Slightly weird controls but I bet you'd get used to it pretty quickly. I had to get out before the salesman could press an interest free credit deal in my paw.

The Olympus cameras are really well made too. The M5 and M10 are lovely to handle. I'm not keen on electronic viewfinders though, even on the xt-1 which is supposed to be the best. I find the blurring of the image distracting when you move it. Never been keen on action on LCD telly's for the same reason.

I really like the controls on the Fuji - I find using the dials more intuitive than delving in to menus. I agree with you on electronic viewfinders, but it is better than no viewfinder at all.

I bought a Sony RX10 earlier this year and am so pleased with it. I don't think it's what you are after so I haven't recommended it, but it does have a gorgeous fixed 24-200 f2.8 Zeiss lens. It's still pretty big though, although smaller than most DSLR's, but the size means that my Fuji x10 is still my go to camera.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I finally did get another camera. Had a bid accepted for a 2nd hand K5 on ebay. Not arrived yet but looks in good nick with a 5500 shutter count, so hopefully all will be well and I'll post a quick pic and review when I get it.

I considered the K30 and K50 but what I would really have missed is the top display which I use a lot on my current camera as I struggle to see all aspects of the viewfinder display being a glasses wearer. So I've just been waiting for a k7 or K5 in my price range and with a low shutter count to come up. Missed a couple but got this one.

Will probably sell my *ist D, though not completely decided on that yet. Might offer it to one of my sons first.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

And finally, after annoyingly (very) missing the delivery on Thursday and it being a bank holiday the day after, I finally picked it up this morning.

2015-04-04%252011.34.20.jpg

New K5 on the left. Camera is pretty much immaculate. A couple of minor marks, shutter count 5500. Initial impresions were it was a bit more boxy and awkward than the old *ist D, little bit heavier but all stuff I can get used to. Controls are familiar, fall to hand easy and the menus easy to navigate. ISO button and compensation are very easy to use compared to the D, as is the focus switch. Focusing is lightning fast in comparison to the D and thank goodness you can customize the damn focus beep to be quieter. There's so much on the menu that I will have to read the manual for beyond the obvious.

Took a few test shots. Metering is far more accurate and the camera copes better over a wider dynamic range but you'd expect that as it's several generations on. High iso is a lot cleaner as well, which is were the D falls down. I think I can safely use this at 800iso with little sign of sensor grain. Need to get out and take some real world shots now and then I should start to see the real differences. Also annoyingly, that may be a bit longer too as the bloke forgot to put the charger in the box and the battery is nearly out. As I also need a proper SD card it's no great shakes but I bet he's away for Easter though, in which case, arse!

Attachments

• 2015-04-04%252011.34.20.jpg
    2015-04-04%252011.34.20.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Look forward to seeing the output, Crackle!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Look forward to seeing the output, Crackle!
Me too. Battery is out now. I think I'll order a spare charger and battery off Amazon, which apparently will be delivered tomorrow. I do have some small sensor marks, which I'm hoping is dust but the camera won't let me clean the sensor with a flat battery. Hopefully the big blower will sort it, if not I have the correct cleaning kit as well.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

IMGP2422.jpg

_IGP6297-2.jpg

This is a bit rough and ready because I'm not quite comparing apples with apples or resolution with resolution.

Two images, top one is the old *ist D, taken last year and the bottom is the new K5. Similar zoom and exposure but obviously different lighting conditions and the top represents a greater zoom than the the K5 because of the K5's larger sensor (in pixel terms). Now I should say, that often the D holds up pretty well from the few comparison shots I've taken but the K5 just has more when you start stretching things. better resolution means greater detail and clarity and I'm really beginning to notice the clarity, better metering, dynamic range and colour representation. Short and medium range shots in good light don't show so much difference but when you head for a landscape view, well....

Most of my time has been spent checking the camera and learning to use it. Still need to tackle some sensor marks but my cleaning fluid had all evaporated when I came to use it, so that's postponed for the moment but pretty happy so far. Hope to get some nice shots soon.

Top Bottom