Planet X Road Bike - Stolen 8/3/2014 from Cock Pit Farm Tea Rooms Weston Near Otley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I am posting this for someone who is not a member of this forum.

Planet X Road Bike Stolen from Cock Pit Farm Tea Rooms at Weston near Otley today, if you have any information please contact @Gregweatherhead on Twitter.

BiOZPu9IcAABUBd.jpg

What a bummer. Hope he gets it back.

400bhp

Guru
Was it locked?

Popular cyclist haunt?

Wondering if we are going to see an increase in this sort of theft.

Quite a distinctive bike so let's hope it's spotted by someone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Damn!

Phil told me about Cock Pit farm in 2012 and we went there on my last forum ride just before I got ill. It is a really nice place.

I have heard of this happening at many popular cycling cafes. Thieves often turn up in cycling kit so they don't look suspicious going off with bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Damn!

Phil told me about Cock Pit farm in 2012 and we went there on my last forum ride just before I got ill. It is a really nice place.

I have heard of this happening at many popular cycling cafes. Thieves often turn up in cycling kit so they don't look suspicious going off with bikes.
Similar has happened down your end o'valley.

ColinJ

Similar has happened down your end o'valley.
It is happening all over the place!

I have heard about bikes disappearing from outside The Dalesman in Gargrave, the cafe at Chipping and so on ...

I like to keep my bike in sight if possible. After a ride with a friend yesterday, we took it in turns to get takeaway coffee/cake and watch the bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member

I have heard about bikes disappearing from outside The Dalesman in Gargrave, the cafe at Chipping and so on ...

I like to keep my bike in sight if possible. After a ride with a friend yesterday, we took it in turns to get takeaway coffee/cake and watch the bikes.
Hijacking the thread, but it was with your planned ride this month I thought I'd let you know.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

It seems a lot of people are not locking up their bikes, they assume that because there are lots of cyclists around they are safe.

Either that or they are weight weenies who dont want to haul locks around with them.

ColinJ

Hijacking the thread, but it was with your planned ride this month I thought I'd let you know.
It seems a lot of people are not locking up their bikes, they assume that because there are lots of cyclists around they are safe.

Either that or they are weight weenies who dont want to haul locks around with them.
I have already been worrying about the bikes at Glasson Dock!

If we have 40+ riders then we won't really have a clue which bike bike belongs to which new face, so a stranger in cycling kit bending over a bike isn't going to draw much attention unless he happens to be openly wielding a set of bolt cutters or other tools!

I think we should lock our bikes together in a set of parallel 'chains' so each bike is locked at least twice, maybe 3 or 4 times. I would imagine that would put off most thieves!

I noticed that many bikes at Cock Pit Farm tended not to locked up but the safety in numbers thing only works if people can identify bikes and riders. Plenty of you lot know that I ride a rare blue steel Basso with a triple chainset and Crud mudguards, so you would quickly spot a stranger with it. I wouldn't know who (e.g.) a CF Trek or Al Focus bike belongs to, so I would be hesitant to challenge somebody moving it.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

The cock pit farm is ok in summer as you can lock the bike to the table when you sit outside and keep and eye on it that way rather than putting it over buy the wall.

But I think they need to think seriously about installing some cameras and the situation will only get worse as the TDF draws closer.

Big Nick

Hope he gets it back but on another note would you leave a couple of grand in cash unattended and unsecured outside a cafe while you were inside.
I don't know anyone who would yet every day I see expensive bikes unlocked outside a well known cyclists cafe next to where I work

400bhp

Guru
If I owned a cycling cafe I would have a bunch of combination locks that I would give out-along with a deposit.

Tempted to open a cafe, but that would mean it would take up precious cycling time. I can't win.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

If I owned a cycling cafe I would have a bunch of combination locks that I would give out-along with a deposit.

Tempted to open a cafe, but that would mean it would take up precious cycling time. I can't win.

The problem I can see with that is that if you did that and a bike got stolen wouldnt there be a danger that the owner could take action against you as it was your lock used to secure it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom