Planet X Road Bike - Stolen 8/3/2014 from Cock Pit Farm Tea Rooms Weston Near Otley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I owned a cycling cafe I would have a bunch of combination locks that I would give out-along with a deposit.

Tempted to open a cafe, but that would mean it would take up precious cycling time. I can't win.
Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington have a box of locks for cyclists to use. The keys for the padlocks use old disk brake rotors for keyrings so it is virtually impossible to accidentally ride off with a key!

400bhp

Guru
The problem I can see with that is that if you did that and a bike got stolen wouldnt there be a danger that the owner could take action against you as it was your lock used to secure it.

Plenty of ways to get around that.

gam001

Über Member
If I owned a cycling cafe I would have a bunch of combination locks that I would give out-along with a deposit.

Tempted to open a cafe, but that would mean it would take up precious cycling time. I can't win.
Cheesy-beans on toast and a pot of tea please Nige ^_^

ColinJ

Perhaps somebody should suggest to the local police that they plant a 'sting' bike and wait for somebody to steal it? :whistle:

(Perhaps pointing out that these thefts are not a great advertisement for cycling in Yorkshire when massive groups of cyclists will be expected soon for the Tour de France?)

Julia9054

Guru
Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington have a box of locks for cyclists to use. The keys for the padlocks use old disk brake rotors for keyrings so it is virtually impossible to accidentally ride off with a key!
Beningborough Hall in North Yorkshire also lend cycle locks. Plus free entry and free cup of tea for cyclists! Great scones too (unfortunately not free)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I'd say so. The bike would be still locked up if you have the key.....

ColinJ

I'd say so. The bike would be still locked up if you have the key.....
Not so. You could unlock the padlock, get distracted, put the key in a pocket, then chuck the lock and cable back in the box and ride away. You can't put a big metal rotor in a pocket with realising that you have done it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was surprised at the number of unlocked bikes when I worked at one of the controls for the London Edinburgh London audax.

We put crowd barriers outside, but most bikes were not locked to them.

All the more surprising when you consider the riders were going into a large, unfamiliar public building - a school - and many were staying for several hours.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not so. You could unlock the padlock, get distracted, put the key in a pocket, then chuck the lock and cable back in the box and ride away. You can't put a big metal rotor in a pocket with realising that you have done it.

You've not seen the size of my pockets....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Perhaps somebody should suggest to the local police that they plant a 'sting' bike and wait for somebody to steal it? :whistle:

(Perhaps pointing out that these thefts are not a great advertisement for cycling in Yorkshire when massive groups of cyclists will be expected soon for the Tour de France?)
West Yorkshire Police have been using 'Capture Bikes' for some time, although I doubt they've been to the Cockpit Tea Rooms. I think I've spotted a few of their 'Capture Bikes' out and about, but I'm not going to say how I know which ones they are.
http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/capture-bike-strikes-again

Top Bottom