Planning a solo tour in the Outer Hebrides .... any advice/recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

It's a long long time since I've done any serious touring and I've never toured alone in 40 years cycling, so in some ways I'm a bit of a newbie that also thinks he knows it all.

Due to circumstances I find myself in the somewhat enviable position to have 2 weeks hols to myself and it's about time I made that long overdue visit to my old mate Brighton Bob. Thing is he now lives in the Outer Hebridies. So the plan is as below (or a variation) as an initial 'scouting trip'. Expecting to have most meals at pubs/cafes/hostelries with basic cooking kit for camping duties. Accomodation will be a mix of wild camping or YHA weather etc. depending.

Drive and abandon car in Mallaig
Ferry to Lochboisdale
2 Day Ride up to Bernesay = 55 miles
Get Ferry to Harris - Leverburgh
Spend 2 days riding to Butt of Lewis = 90 miles
1Day chilling
1 Day hard ride back to Leverburgh = 90 miles
Ferry back to Berneray for 2 or 3 days chillin
Cycle to Brighton Bob's = 25 miles
Chill for a few days
Ferry from LochMaddy to Uig on Skye
1 Day Cycle to Portree = 30 miles
1 Day Cycle to Mallaig via Ferry
Drive back to Abingdon

I'm going to be on the faithful Rourkie with dynamo lighting (More Audax than) load-lugger (see overloaded first trial in photo below), Large rear panniers and a small bar bag. Hope not to need additional Saddle baggage:

Tent Vango Banshee 200
2 season light down bag
Inflatable 3/4 mat
Maybe bivvy bag too ... just in case I need to sleep 'Audax Stylee'!
Sit mat
Cooking kit (600ml Titanium cup and pocket stove + Spirit burner + Spork + Meths, Swiss Army Knife). .
Small bottle detergent
1/2 scourer
Tea bags, sugar, emergency rations
Minimal clothing ( Fleece, couple of Tees, longs, shorts, socks, pants, Vans, wool beanie hat, sun hat).
Cycle clothing (1x shorts, 1 x 3/4 bibs, 1 LS Merino, 1 vest base layer, 2 SS Jerseys cap(s) mitts, Gilet)
1 Paramo Velez Light Smock (Dry-bag on Rack)
OS maps
Smartphone .... wondering about an e-werks USB charger or similar.
Basic toiletries + Midge Cream and Sun Cream. Savlon.
Head Torch
Book
Locks
Tools
Tubes + spare tyre
Hip Flask

For those who know the terrain and what's there, is this reasonable or not?

Mods to basic kit list?

IMG_2987.JPG

snorri

Legendary Member
This tour report might give you some ideas......http://www.hebrideancycleclub.com/ride2006300k.htm

Include both options in South Harris, the east and west coast roads are very different.
Also in Lewis fit in the loop out to Callanish/Carloway.
The Butt to Leverburgh in a day sounds a bit much, why not take a little more time and look around?
Googling hostels in Harris and Lewis throws up a number of options, might be worth booking a day ahead if there in peak season.
Worth doing a little research regarding eateries, the islands are not over endowed with options.
Enjoy, sounds like a grand plan!!

I've ridden most of what you propose and I think the bike will be fine. There are Gatliff trust hostels which I think you can also camp at. I'd be tempted to use them where they coincide with your route, especially after a wet day. Bit of company too if you need it. There are or where, a few independent hostels in the areas you're going but the tent will give you some flexibility which I wished I'd had when I was up that way. Sounds great. When are you going?

L Q

Über Member
The 1 hard day from Lewis to leverburgh will be your killer.

I did Stornaway to leverburgh last September but we got 8 miles past Harris before calling it quits and stopped at a right crappy campsite.

The wind was in our face the whole time and it rained for a fair bit, the mini mountain in between Stornaway and Tarbet seems to drag on for ages.

The hostels are brilliant but beware of the Midges when camping at the one on south uist, stay inside and grab a bed instead.

robing

Über Member
Butt of Lewis to Leverburgh in a day is too much. Harris is very lumpy. I did Garenin to Tarbert in a day in to a headwind and that was bad enough.

Yes, the wind will make or break your day and the midges will make or break your camping. That hill out of Tarbert is a definite slow motion ride but there's stunning views at the top and a wee lochan to stop by, should the midges allow. Talking of which, on a bad midge day, keep long sleeves and leg warmers on or you'll spend your time scratching the midge itch. For camping, I'd seriously consider a mesh hat and hope it stays windy!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Another vote for Gatliff Trust hostels. Not only are they in the most stunning locations, they cannot be booked in advance, so are ideal for the solo traveller as groups stay away. You can also camp at some of them.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

OP when are you going? Earlier summer midges aren't so bad.
End July first week of August OR 2nd and 3rd was of July. Are the only slots I have right now.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

The 1 hard day from Lewis to leverburgh will be your killer.

I did Stornaway to leverburgh last September but we got 8 miles past Harris before calling it quits and stopped at a right crappy campsite.

The wind was in our face the whole time and it rained for a fair bit, the mini mountain in between Stornaway and Tarbet seems to drag on for ages.

The hostels are brilliant but beware of the Midges when camping at the one on south uist, stay inside and grab a bed instead.
Point taken, I did wonder if it was a bit of bravado in the planning. Having now looked at the Butt of Lewis I've decided there is not much worth hanging around for. The standing stones are on my list.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Another vote for Gatliff Trust hostels. Not only are they in the most stunning locations, they cannot be booked in advance, so are ideal for the solo traveller as groups stay away. You can also camp at some of them.
They are high on my list with camping to fill in the spaces really. More as a romantic wild camping thing .....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They are high on my list with camping to fill in the spaces really. More as a romantic wild camping thing .....
So my advice - which would have been to ditch the tent and sleeping bag to save weight, and get proper nights' sleep in hotels - won't be heeded.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

So my advice - which would have been to ditch the tent and sleeping bag to save weight, and get proper nights' sleep in hotels - won't be heeded.
Under reconsideration regarding hostels. As I spend most of my life in hotels, it's low on my list. I'm looking for escape ....

End July first week of August OR 2nd and 3rd was of July. Are the only slots I have right now.

OK, remember that's well into the Scottish school holidays, so it might be busier than you think. Busy being relative.

Point taken, I did wonder if it was a bit of bravado in the planning. Having now looked at the Butt of Lewis I've decided there is not much worth hanging around for. The standing stones are on my list.

They were the only thing on my list but I never got there due to changing plans in Stornoway. You could base yourself elsewhere and plan a day raid on them. On that note I did not find Stornoway a particularly nice place, in fact the ferry out was probably the best thing about it.

Top Bottom