play in bottom bracket - how risky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my shimano octalink cartridge bottom bracket has developed a little bit of play, and i'd prefer not to have to replace it just at the moment.

is it safe to leave as is until it starts affecting shifting efficiency etc?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If the play is between the spindle and the bb cartridge shell, then it is the tiny bearings going progressively pear shape, which will eventually grind to a halt and since the whole bb is non-serviceable you can replace it up till then.

If the play is between the spindle and the chainset then any further use if not already will let the steel spindle chew up the soft alloy splines of the chainset, and will result in the need for a new chainset in no time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
my shimano octalink cartridge bottom bracket has developed a little bit of play, and i'd prefer not to have to replace it just at the moment.

is it safe to leave as is until it starts affecting shifting efficiency etc?
If it is just the bearings I wouldn't worry. I've seen people ride with the things so badly shot you could visibly see the cranks rocking. Not something I'd do, mind.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If the play is between the spindle and the bb cartridge shell, then it is the tiny bearings going progressively pear shape, which will eventually grind to a halt and since the whole bb is non-serviceable you can replace it up till then.

If the play is between the spindle and the chainset then any further use if not already will let the steel spindle chew up the soft alloy splines of the chainset, and will result in the need for a new chainset in no time.

You didn't mention the possibility of play between BB and the frame !
Don't laugh... I was once given a bike to repair on the basis of 'a loud clonking noise'
The BB shell (or those parts that had not rusted away) was wobbling in the frame by about half an inch....
Mercifully the frame had withstood the abuse and a new UN55 restored the pedalling action to a smoothness that the owner could hardly believe.
"it's not the same bike, is it?"

zacklaws

Guru
I've had two bottom brackets go whilst riding and on both occasions found that from having a little play for a few weeks became suddenly completely broken with no in between. Both times I have been able to ride home but with wonky chain rings its demanding on your pedalling style not to be constantly having the chain come off.

My last occasion, I had rode 56 miles to climb a steep hill, with about 2 miles to go, my bottom bracket went completley, hollow tech 2, I took a gamble not to turn round but climb the hill, I was petrified climbing the hill as most of it was standing to pedal and looking down my chain rings were wobbling from side to side and at any moment I anticipated loosing my chain resulting in having a squeaky voice for ever more. But I was lucky and got to the top and rode home.

Now if I detect play in my BB, I renew it ASP as it could go anytime on my experience

Bodhbh

Guru
In the past i've done 500 odd miles on BBs with play before getting sick of it and replacing. No ill effect except an annoying clicking noise while climbing. Nowadays I don't think I could stomach the clicking that long.

Mile195

Veteran
My cheapo nasty "pub bike" had the bottom bracket go. Not a sealed unit - cup and cone. I rode it for months with the pedals rocking from side to side. Each time it started screeching, I simply laid it on its side, poured more engine oil into the steadily increasing gap around the crank, and it would be good for a few more friday nights, and trips to the shop.
When I finally got round to taking it apart to install a sealed cartridge, the rusted shards of the disintegrated bearing cages fell out, along with ball bearings that had surfaces not dissimilar to the moon.

In my case, I wouldn't have said it was dangerous, but it will be very annoying unless you're just doing very short journeys. I shouldn't go climbing any mountains, or doing any sprints until you have it changed though. Will it wear out other parts prematurely? Probably.

Top Bottom