Poaching an egg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've tried a good few methods over the decades...

In a cup in a microwave, traditional poaching pans, stirring in a swirling vinegar-ed pan of water to name but all I can think of.
Today I tried a new one, (to me), in a cling film wrap in boiling water. The egg was cooked okay eventually but the white stuck to the cling film so a mini kitchen disaster ensued.
Is there a better way or did I do summink wrong?

poached egg.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
What's wrong with the swirling in vinegar method? It's always worked for me.

Can never decide whether poached or scrambled is my favourite.

Renmurew

Veteran
Buy a microwave egg poacher......works a treat......I use one every morning......takes about 55 seconds. Yum

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Swirling in a pan has always been a total disaster for me. The soggy "thing" always ends up looking that the only good idea is to stick it straight down a swirling plug hole. The miracle plastic jobbies that are supposed to go into a microwave always make the egg explode or leave them raw. Salvation costs £4.99 from Argos....
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...93|rnd:447784933404106390|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

Swirling in a pan has always been a total disaster for me. The soggy "thing" always ends up looking that the only good idea is to stick it straight down a swirling plug hole. The miracle plastic jobbies that are supposed to go into a microwave always make the egg explode or leave them raw. Salvation costs £4.99 from Argos....
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...93|rnd:447784933404106390|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1
Swirling in a pan is some kind of middle class conspiracy test. You pass when you realize it doesn't work, then you have to spread the conspiracy.

Have you tried swirling it in a pan, works a treat?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Quit swirling the H2O!
Get the water boiling whilst cracking the egg into a ladle or summat. Lower the ladle, or summat, into the boiling water and decant the egg.

Watch it poach to perfection, gently scoop out and enjoy.

:hungry:

EDIT: vinegar in the water is only for boiled eggs, not poached..

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Quit swirling the H2O!
Get the water boiling whilst cracking the egg into a ladle or summat. Lower the ladle, or summat, into the boiling water and decant the egg.

Watch it poach to perfection, gently scoop out and enjoy.

:hungry:
Yebbut, assuming the soggy thing survives the ducking, it's covered in water. With a poaching pan it's got a generous layer of melted butter.:hungry:

Top Bottom