Police comment on HiViz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

They will protect you? Cars bounce off them, do they? :wacko:
It's the hidden St Christopher that does the trick.

subaqua

What’s the point
High viz is no good if the driver doesn't look. Even with 3 high power LED lights on in daylight, coming towards a driver, if they don't look properly, they will hit you. As happened to me !! :okay:

Agreed . I was in full railway orange when the cocksocket drove into me, although I think that was deliberate.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 4494736, member: 9609"]Even if high viz does not help with crap drivers, it is just good manners to wear it for the careful and considerate drivers. And you never know, it may just help with those drivers on the border between crap and good[/QUOTE]
Opening ones eyes when at the wheel, never mind texting and/or facebook-ing, will also help the cause.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4494736, member: 9609"]. Even if high viz does not help with crap drivers, it is just good manners to wear it for the careful and considerate drivers. And you never know, it may just help with those drivers on the border between crap and good[/QUOTE]
I don't see it as good manners at all, drivers eyes are drawn to this explosion of colour some distance ahead and can be distracted from spotting less distant hazards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4494736, member: 9609"]So on these two theories is it best to surprise drivers at the very last moment ?l[/QUOTE]
No, it's best to appear in context with the rest of the scene. Being seen before a motorist can see what other constraints are present doesn't help anyone: at best, it's just visual noise and they'll reprocess you when things around you are visible; at worst, they'll ignore you on the second pass.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4494763, member: 9609"]as selfish as it may be - when I'm cycling I want drivers to be focussing on me.
(this is one of those statements on CC that could go either way, I could be public enemy no1 by the morn) [/QUOTE]
You realise people tend to steer at what they're focusing on? It's worse than being ignored.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't see it as good manners at all, drivers eyes are drawn to this explosion of colour some distance ahead and can be distracted from spotting less distant hazards.
And you'll often get lost if the background colour is something close. Why do railway workers have two colours?

swansonj

Guru
The official colour for Highways workers is changing from yellow to orange. This is because psychological research has shown that yellow is associated with an obstacle but orange is more associated with a human being, and if motorists identify the blob of colour they have registered as a human, they will be more careful. It is therefore part of the same coordinated approach to improving safety as the "let my mummy come home to me" signs.

I learnt this at the safety induction before doing some work on the M40 hard shoulder. Apparently it cost £2M to instigate the new colours for the first big contract on the new system, on the M1.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE="mjr, post: 4494766, member: 34410] it's just visual noise and they'll reprocess you when things around you are visible; .[/QUOTE]

Visual noise. Excellent analogy. Up it a notch, and my theory is that so many things nowadays are hi-viz that it simply becomes a form of urban cammo. I may change urban cammo to visual Muzak.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lowland Rescue and Mountain Rescue have been studying the effectiveness of yellow hi vis over the last few years and are finding it quite a poor performer , particularly in the natural environment. They now use orange or dual orange and yellow.

Top Bottom