Police comment on HiViz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The official colour for Highways workers is changing from yellow to orange. This is because psychological research has shown that yellow is associated with an obstacle but orange is more associated with a human being, and if motorists identify the blob of colour they have registered as a human, they will be more careful. It is therefore part of the same coordinated approach to improving safety as the "let my mummy come home to me" signs.

I learnt this at the safety induction before doing some work on the M40 hard shoulder. Apparently it cost £2M to instigate the new colours for the first big contract on the new system, on the M1.

They should get their money back.

cones-krc-safety-co-inc-krc-graphics-69redP-clipart.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tobacco stains.
That ain't tobacco. That's the result of one close pass too many... xx(

classic33

Leg End Member
If anyone ever sees me wearing HiViz yellow would they please shoot me in the face because I'll have been possessed by a evil spirit or been replicated like off of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Thanks.
Or leave "The Ball" on top of you.

U

User6179

I am colour blind as are 5% of the population and Orange Hi-Viz does not stand out to me , in the countryside you might as well be in full camouflage as I cant see the difference between orange and some shades of green.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 4494736, member: 9609"]So on these two theories is it best to surprise drivers at the very last moment ?

From my perspective as a driver I welcome as much notice as possible, this allows me to slow gently without using my brakes and to be able to time the pass correctly so as to give the cyclist as much room as possible. Even if high viz does not help with crap drivers, it is just good manners to wear it for the careful and considerate drivers. And you never know, it may just help with those drivers on the border between crap and good[/QUOTE]
No not at all - you are being obtuse. I generally wear light colours on top and on busy roads have my back lights on to make sure I'm visible.

What I mean is that from my completely unscientific observations there appears to be something going on when they see flourescent colours that makes them think they don't need to leave as much room. I still get annoyed by the odd close pass but it's quite a while since I had one I considered scarily close.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am colour blind as are 5% of the population and Orange Hi-Viz does not stand out to me , in the countryside you might as well be in full camouflage as I cant see the difference between orange and some shades of green.
Whereas the other 95% will struggle with yellow in the countryside.

U

User6179

Whereas the other 95% will struggle with yellow in the countryside.

Never knew folk struggled with yellow , It is one of the few colours I dont have a problem recognising .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 4495809, member: 9609"]Sorry I wasn't meaning to be obtuse, I just find the argument against hi-viz to be bizarre. I don't actually wear hi-viz myself but from a driving point of view I think it is wonderful, I've spotted cyclist through hedgerows from half a mile back[/QUOTE]
I find it bizarre too. I agree with you on liking it a lot when I'm driving and I used to be very keen on wearing high-viz because of this, but being ultra visible when cycling doesn't seem to translate into getting treated well by drivers.:crazy:

I still like the high viz for night use when the reflectives do seem to make a difference.

machew

Veteran
Urban camo now, innit? If you ever want to remove an obstruction from a cycle route (barrier, bollard...), wear hi viz and no one will notice you.
Banksy has been quoted in saying, if you want to paint any wall wear hi-vis, have heart FM on the radio, a red top newspaper on the dashboard of you white van and if any one talks to you complain about your hourly rate or rant about them "Coming over here and doing our Jobs"

gavgav

Guru
For what it's worth, I do sometimes wear a yellow or orange top, and to be quite honest I find no difference in driver behaviour whatever I wear. I.e some rides are absolutely fine and drivers all behave and other rides they are idiots. I think it has more to do with the general level of idiots on the road and the unfortunate chance that I will encounter them on some rides.

Top Bottom