Police overkill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No. Local scrotes do that on matchdays because they think the police are all tied up looking after the fans at pubs and making sure everybody has a nice day.
That reminds me of the well known story about wee Jimmy, a young entrepreneur in Govan, Glasgow, who - taking advantage of a recent spate of thefts from cars - used to "look after yer car for a £1 mister" for supporters leaving their cars parked to go to matches at Ibrox stadium (Glasgow Rangers). Non payers would inevitably find their cars damaged when they returned after the game.
One fine Saturday afternoon a guy in a BMW estate parked up, and got out of his car with his Rangers scarf on. Jimmy approached him and offered his version of the Govan protection racket.
BMW man was quite scornful, and refused to pay up, saying "No-one is going to touch my car, son. See that mean looking Ridgeback dog in the back? He will eat anyone alive if they dare to break into the car!"
Wee Jimmy then asks BMW man "Aye that's great pal; but does he know how to put out a fire?"

Last edited:
Why do you think you pay more in a pub?
Of course it costs more much (much more) to serve you a drink at a pub, and most of that money goes on things other than the beer. But the punter should be getting something that justifies the difference between buying whatever is on special at the Co op, and the price at the pub. In my experience, I've always been asked "it's in a plastic glass, is that ok?" if they weren't serving in glass. I've also been asked "we d n't have any <brand> glasses clean. Is a standard pint ok?" If I've been ordering an overpriced lager (my tipple of choice).

I have never seen or even nearly see a bouncer slap a punter.

You're lucky. And to be honest, my worst experiences with bouncers were in Melbourne*. My worst in the UK were in Leicester Square. Hogmanay in Edinburgh is where I have seen the best bouncers**. Big bruisers standing outside bars, who ask you in with the grace of Captain Peacock.

*there was a moment I was in the heart of the Melbourne club scene. I'm pretty sure I was at the same party as Chopper, once. That would skew my experience.

** London and Edinburgh are the only town centres I have visited in the UK at peak drinking times. However, googling "bouncer murder" seems to get bouncers as victims and assailants, as I would expect

Last edited:

doog

The Police response looks proportionate to me.

I'm surprised no one's really frothing at the mouth and asking why they aren't 'doing summit useful like arresting all the rapists, murderers and paedos' ...

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
A duck walks into a bar and .......says "fark me, I should have seen that, it's right at eye level. Hang on, there's no hazard warning tape on that great big steel bar that's right in front of me, there where I can see it clear as daylight...I'm going to have to sue someone for my stupidity....."

·

FTFY....:whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
You want to try a night out in Halifax or Bradford, the bouncers are famous for beating the crap out of punters they deem to be "kicking off", local nightclub in Halifax has cctv all over the place but when a punter gets injured by the bouncers the cctv is "never working" odd innit.
You want Alpha Charlie One or Alpha Charlie Two. They always seem to be working.
Most have been replaced this year anyway. Just check over your shoulder when using any ATM in the town centre!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm still not happy about this. (Like the bloke wasn't with his plastic glass:whistle:). Ok, send loads of coppers in case there's a major incident going on but when you realise there isn't why take 45 minutes to sort it out? All they had to do was look at the cctv evidence then either decide to arrest the bouncers for assault or tell the one who made the complaint to go home as nothing illegal happened. It could've been sorted out in 10 minutes.

perplexed

Guru
I'm still not happy about this. (Like the bloke wasn't with his plastic glass:whistle:). Ok, send loads of coppers in case there's a major incident going on but when you realise there isn't why take 45 minutes to sort it out? All they had to do was look at the cctv evidence then either decide to arrest the bouncers for assault or tell the one who made the complaint to go home as nothing illegal happened. It could've been sorted out in 10 minutes.

Probably, but I suspect the 'plastic glass' man wouldn't let it be...

Accy, you should become the new Police Commissioner for whatever area you live in*. You could then get rid of the Bulgarians, Romanians and the Hotspurians. End of the problem. And plastic glasses, of course./

*I have no idea where Accrington is and cannot be arsed looking.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
To think something as simple as this
Pubs.jpg

Took up 45 minutes of "valuable" police time!:wacko:

Top Bottom