Poll: Are folding tyres easier to get on a wheel than beaded tyres?

Are folding tyres easier to get on a wheel than beaded tyres?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
yes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Generally yes, unless it was the Lifeline Commuting tyres I fitted to my commuting MTB. The puncture protection was quite stiff and the tyre didn't want to shape into a U, just remained flat. They will be fine now 6 months later.

Fastpedaller

I'd say no difference between the two types....... except the kevlar (or whatever) bead can't rust like a standard wire one, which has caused failure in the past, so i'm happy to pay extra for a folder.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, but the biggest difference is the exact tyre/rim combination rather than the type of bead.

I have had some combinations that were trivially easy to do with bare hands. Others that I found only just doable without using tyre levers. Some tricky combinations that I needed to use tyre levers on which were then not too difficult. I had one absolute pig of a combination - Campagnolo Proton wheels with a type of tyre which I can no longer identify. I found myself sweltering at the side of the road in Spain desperately trying to fix a puncture. It took me well over half an hour and I very nearly gave up. If it had been in England, or I could speak Spanish I would probably have rung for a taxi to take me and the bike back to the hotel.

Yes, but the biggest difference is the exact tyre/rim combination rather than the type of bead.

I have had some combinations that were trivially easy to do with bare hands. Others that I found only just doable without using tyre levers. Some tricky combinations that I needed to use tyre levers on which were then not too difficult. I had one absolute pig of a combination - Campagnolo Proton wheels with a type of tyre which I can no longer identify. I found myself sweltering at the side of the road in Spain desperately trying to fix a puncture. It took me well over half an hour and I very nearly gave up. If it had been in England, or I could speak Spanish I would probably have rung for a taxi to take me and the bike back to the hotel.

+1 for this. Tolerances make the job either a doddle or a pain. Yet to find a tyre that I couldn't initially install, but getting it to seat properly is where the hassle can start. Some tyre/rim combinations just don't want to play ball :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have never had much problem with regular tyres (probably because I've got lucky with my tyre/rim combos as @ColinJ notes).

I've got much less experience with folding tyres. I was expecting them to be super easy to fit, but when it came to it ... they were about the same. More or less.

Call me Mr Boring.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
For some stupid reason, I always go for the folding option first, as they are easier to store.

However, just this moment i've realised, I never store any of my tires folded :wacko:

silva

Über Member
If you buy mail-order, you're less likely to receive folding tyres with a kink put in them, compared to wired tyres!
Yea, once ordered 5 tyres and they were delivered in some 8 shapes to fit in a rectangular box and they tied these to stay like that, resulting in kinks. And indeed, the first of these that I used, showed a kinda deformation over a section, alike the carcas got stretched beyond its elastic region. If I had stored them like delivered, the kink probably brought failure, that is, ripped open by the air pressure.

Top Bottom