Portable Air Con for home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'm getting bored of a stinking hot house and after a failed attempt at buying second hand last year I'm thinking of buying a portable air con unit to use in the bedrooms etc

Anyone got any first hand experience or recommendations for a decent portable unit?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Proper portable ones?

Need an external opening(window) for hot exhaust air to escape, usually along a flexi hose, so a little hard to place where you really want
Super noisey
Big
Noisey
Heavy
Noisey

On the plus side, they are wonderful to sit in front of and work really well if you are in close proximity but then the noise also hits you.

Did I mention they are a bit loud.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have one. Had it at least 8 years. Living in a modern house, the upstairs gets silly hot. We have it just outside the bathroom with a pipe and extension (aluminium ducting from B&Q) and the pipe goes outside the window.

They are large and noisy but they work. As the noise is effectively white noise, you soon get used to it.

You need to get a proper compressor type, so it's a couple of hundred minimum.

They do massively cool the upstairs and aren't expensive to run as I think the wattage is 1 kW

The output is about 8000 btu.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Someone I know bought a Dyson Airblade today. Said its really good and silent.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Waste of money for the 2 days a year you'll need it. Just buy a small size air circulator and perch it on the window ledge next to an open window. When the sun disappears below the horizon the temperature will soon drop.

fossyant

Waste of money for the 2 days a year you'll need it. Just buy a small size air circulator and perch it on the window ledge next to an open window. When the sun disappears below the horizon the temperature will soon drop.

Depends. Not in our house. It's a problem in warm weather as it retains heat. Cool down stairs but hot up.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yes but I think its more than a fan in that it cools the air it's blowing. However... I did not know it was £400!!

fossyant

Yes but I think its more than a fan in that it cools the air it's blowing. However... I did not know it was £400!!

They don't cool. My in laws have one. It's not as clever as they say it is. There is a fan in the base that blows up and out of the hoop. It doesn't cool as there is no compressor, it just blows air or heats it.

And yes they are stupid money.

Top Bottom