Positioning on dual carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then you suspect wrongly.;)
My position, as previously stated, is a few inches to the left of the centre of the lane I am riding in.
apologies. I seem to have wilfully misread this several times. To the extent I thought you had edited your original posting when you posted this.

However, if you measure a point exactly in the middle of a 12' carriage way, then moved a few inches to the left of that point, you would still look to be dead in the middle of the lane to an observer without a tape measure or (giant) protractors. Unless "a few" is 15+ to you.

That said, a little to left of the centre of the lane sounds like exactly where I would place myself on a dual carriageway, and in my experience it's close to the sweet spot for reducing close passes.

You have my permission to carry on. (yes, I know you don't need my permission, and apologies again for the misread).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So here we have a Dual carriageway.

What you are saying is that you position yourself to the right of where the Grey car on the left is. Is that correct?

I am just trying to clarifiy for those having trouble understanding.

image.jpg

So here we have a Dual carriageway.

What you are saying is that you position yourself to the right of where the Grey car on the left is. Is that correct?

I am just trying to clarifiy for those having trouble understanding.

image.jpg
I'm not sure what your point is, but if I was on that road in that traffic, I would position myself well out from the edge, so any driver would see me, and have plenty of time to use the mostly empty outside lane. Probably at about the number plate of the sports car. Which I think is where @Dirk Thrust would be, too. An alert driver would not be held up, and I'd rather be right in the centre of vision of an unalert driver.

Reactions: mjr

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not trying to make a point just clarifying the position.

There are plenty of unalert drivers on that road. Its the A30.

There are plenty of unalert drivers on that road. Its the A30.
Yeah, so don't cling to the side of the road where they probably won't notice you.

I once took a wrong turn near Staines and ended up on the A30. I trudged back on the embankment to the roundabout. If I'd stayed on the road, I would have taken the lane. A dangerous A road is not less dangerous if you cling to the side.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have ridden a 40mph and 60mpg dual carriageway 400-500 times the latter is the arse end of the M23 - although classified as the A23 and the furthest I dare to go out is the nearside car wheel channel and in 5 years I have never, ever seen any other cyclist do anything different. In fact now I think about it in 30+ years of driving I have never seen a solo cyclist in the middle of the road on a dual carriageway.

I do however have plenty of close passes to complain about so might try sticking myself in the middle tomorrow afternoon, and pray.

midlife

Guru
I have ridden a 40mph and 60mpg dual carriageway 400-500 times the latter is the arse end of the M23 - although classified as the A23 and the furthest I dare to go out is the nearside car wheel channel and in 5 years I have never, ever seen any other cyclist do anything different. In fact now I think about it in 30+ years of driving I have never seen a solo cyclist in the middle of the road on a dual carriageway.

I do however have plenty of close passes to complain about so might try sticking myself in the middle tomorrow afternoon, and pray.

Seen TT riders riding in the middle of the A1 on the 'Boro course in the 1970's .....

Shaun

hatless

Über Member
The original post said "a couple of inches to the left of the centre of lane 1". HTH
You're quite right. It's very hard to read accurately. For me, at least.

I avoid dual carriageways. One I used to use had a two foot space to the left of the white line (which was also a rumble strip), and I used to cycle there, but some enormous lorries would pass me at 50mph just a few inches beyond the white line.

Top Bottom