Post Ride Wash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Aaah this is the part I don't miss from Belfast..!!!!

Where it was wet all the f...g time and I had to clean my commuter once a week.... (hose, soup, brush and sponge) then dry and lube...

Good bike after every ride over there... (Belfast) here I did so many rides already and the bike still clean..!!!!! Is dry so a rag over the chain to get the dust and any possible build up...

If too dusty I would use glass cleaner on the frame and wheels to bring the shine back up.. (and get rid of the sweat drops) :blush:

mustang1

Guru
Never!

The first thing I wanna do after a dry ride, let alone a rain ride, is to give myself a hot shower! Washing the bike is the very last thing on my mind.

mythste

Veteran
My bike never rides well after a deep clean. I figure all the dirt is holding the drivetrain in some sort of permanent grimey suspension - which I'm kind of happy with! Heh. I do give the chain a wee mickle (forum search it if you're not sure) if its been a particularly wet week.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I washed my bike today.The last time was before one of @ColinJ rides back in Apr 2012 so nearly 4 yrs/11,000 miles of rides and commuting in between.

Needed to fit new tyres and the bike was rank so decided to risk it and give it a clean.....
upload_2016-3-10_18-59-46.png

upload_2016-3-10_19-0-20.png

upload_2016-3-10_19-1-5.png

upload_2016-3-10_19-1-36.png

upload_2016-3-10_19-2-33.png

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When I can be arsed/have the time.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Every week or so for my commuter (steel tourer - and it's *really* needed it by then with the recent weather).
Every wet ride or every few dry rides for my best bike (steel ten speed).
Every ride for my MTB (retro steel again).

1) Muc-off spray and wash down outside with a bucket of water, then dry with an old towel
2) Mickle the chain with an old rag, and de-gunk the derailleur and sprockets with rag and pokey stick
3) GT85 on all pivot points and cables
4) Frame polish if I'm feeling like it

Takes a little while but the bike does run sweeter when it's not gunked up with crud and a nice clean shiny bike is somehow plain nicer to ride. It also means I catch potential mechanical issues nice and early before they become a problem (I've had a cracked rim and a loosening BB, both of which I'd have missed if not for regular maintenance).

Cuppa tea and radio three and it's sort of relaxing if I'm not in a rush.

potsy

Rambler
Looks a bit better now but sort of regretting it already. Now scumbags can see I have XT hubs and Mavic rims......

View attachment 121252
View attachment 121253
View attachment 121254
View attachment 121255
View attachment 121256

Hardly looks like the same bike now and has some tread on the tyres. I hope it feels ok when I ride it.....
Ruined it :tongue:

I am more towards the skol end of the cleaning chart than the fossy/Ian end, but do give them the occasional wipe down and lube.

GuyBoden

Guru
After or before every ride, I do a quick check and clean of the moving parts, then lubricate if needed, I'm not convinced I need to clean the whole bike very often. I feel that using any type of detergent to clean a bike will remove the essential grease, especially if loose bearings are used on pedals, wheels, headsets and bottom brackets. Using excessive water pressure from jet washes etc can get water into the seat/head tube and cause rusting to the bottom bracket and headset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom