Pr*cks on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Most drivers admit speeding on motorways

As many as 61% of drivers admitted to going at speeds of 80mph or more on motorways - at least 10mph above the limit, the survey showed.
Some 23% of motorists reached these excessive speeds at least once a week, the poll of 942 drivers revealed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8089230/Most-drivers-admit-speeding-on-motorways.html

A poll taken by road safety charity Brake, in association with Direct Line insurance has found that nearly half of drivers questioned admitted to using their mobile phone whilst driving.

http://blog.rightmobilephone.co.uk/half-of-drivers-admit-to-using-mobile-whilst-at-the-wheel/

Drivers chatting on mobiles killed 11 people last year, speeding drivers killed a thousand. Cyclists killed nobody. Law breaking is rife on the roads, the real danger most certainly does not come from cyclists.

See this is what I didnt want, we are now comparing motorway drivers to the daily commuter.

My point is that cyclist, proportionally (when compared to all road users and commuters...that's car drivers, bus drivers, pedestrians equestrians, van drivers motorcyclists, scooterists, hang glidersists...everyone) and from my own experience, not govnt stats ...are the most lawless.

Its hard (trust me) to speed when driving in the rush hour in a car you are mostly limited to crawling along at 20mph, very few drivers actually use phones when driving..so few in fact that we gasp when we spot them (which is a good thing!) and a red light jumping car driver is very rare (due to glaringly identifiable registration plates I suspect). this even takes into account the fact that...IMO... Motorcycles are the group most guilt of speeding (an offence that I want to see eradicated from our roads)

But when ever I make this connection we get lost in a sea of comparison stat's for car drivers, we are fixated with comparing ourselves to car drivers and it stops us from bettering ourselves.

oh and as a PS, how do you KNOW that cyclsit's killed nobody...how do you know that the actions of some imbecile jumping a red light didn't cause an accident that resulted in a fatality. As I have mentioned on another thread I've been personally involved in accidents caused by cyclists whilst on the motorbike and if I were not riding sensibly and had allowed myself enough space to anticipate such actions, it could well have ended much worse for me.

1795303 said:
I really must see if I can interest Rapha in making a limited edition hair shirt.

Presumably Yak hair as they must have a load on their hands at the moment.

dawesome

See this is what I didnt want, we are now comparing motorway drivers to the daily commuter.

There are more uninsured cars in this country (1.1m) than regular cyclist commuters (1m).

Naturally I respect your own personal experience of what you see on the roads, but when you claim cyclists are the main transgressors of traffic law you're plain wrong.

dawesome

oh and as a PS, how do you KNOW that cyclsit's killed nobody...how do you know that the actions of some imbecile jumping a red light didn't cause an accident that resulted in a fatality.

I've never heard of that happening, any actual examples?

Drivers on mobiles are not as rare as you think, half of all drivers admit using a mobile whilst driving yet only 200,000 a year are caught and fined. The detection rate is roughly 5%. Madness.

I agree! I would say (not scientifcally proven) that the majority of cyclists in Cambridge are RLJers, don't use lights, undertake buses (i've even seen one do this at a bus stop - nearly gave me a heart attack) whilst the rest of us behave ourselves and get all the abuse for it. Whilst on the (ahem, cough cough) bus this morning, i noted three cyclist jump the same red light, one of them giving a driver who beeped the finger, then cut across two lanes of traffice without even looking over their shoulder, then jump a second red light, the joke was that there is a 'safe route' for cyclists to avoid this junction completely.

I cycle from St Ives to Cambridge every day, the state of cycling in Cambridge is simply shocking, I am embarrassed by it, but unless the Police do something, what can u do?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I cycle from St Ives to Cambridge every day, the state of cycling in Cambridge is simply shocking, I am embarrassed by it, but unless the Police do something, what can u do?
This is my point but whenever its raised too many of us leap to the defensive (or sarcastic in Adrians case) which is a shame as a group like ours could really make a difference if only we were in agreement.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
1795552 said:
I see so many instances of illegal driving on a daily basis that I am almost ashamed to admit that I have a driving licence. If I routinely heard people expressing the same I'd take your argument seriously. As it is I see no reason to beat myself for the transgressions of others.

Surely a somewhat contradictory statement . . . . :whistle:

Crankarm

Guru
Most drivers admit speeding on motorways

As many as 61% of drivers admitted to going at speeds of 80mph or more on motorways - at least 10mph above the limit, the survey showed.
Some 23% of motorists reached these excessive speeds at least once a week, the poll of 942 drivers revealed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8089230/Most-drivers-admit-speeding-on-motorways.html

A poll taken by road safety charity Brake, in association with Direct Line insurance has found that nearly half of drivers questioned admitted to using their mobile phone whilst driving.

http://blog.rightmobilephone.co.uk/half-of-drivers-admit-to-using-mobile-whilst-at-the-wheel/

Drivers chatting on mobiles killed 11 people last year, speeding drivers killed a thousand. Cyclists killed nobody. Law breaking is rife on the roads, the real danger most certainly does not come from cyclists.

I have seen two vehicles both being driven by young women who have been tapping away on their laptops as they drive. Yep lap tops in their ........... laps. Unbelievable. You coppers on here, stand on the Girton Road near to the junction with Histon Road just before the traffic lights and you will bag about 10 drivers driving and dialing or driving and texting within 3 minutes. It is that bad as I sometimes walk this way to and from work. Obviously wear plain clothes, in fact some of the drivers wouldn't even notice you if you had your reflective hi-viz on with a huge blue light on your heads with sirens going. It's mad this road. It could be a nice little earner for yous. The fines could pay for all those Easter Eggs .................

Crankarm

Guru

Students that's why. You would have thought all these brainy types would mean that they would be careful and considerate cyclists. Not likely. It's frightening that some of these muppets will some day be politicians, top scientists, doctors, lawyers, architects, teachers, engineers, senior civil servants, top army brass, even hacks. But it has improved in the last couple of years as I think Cambridge County Council and the police have done a lot of work with colleges taking responsibilty for their students being repsonsible cyclists like having lights after dark. But yes there are quite a few kamikaze cyclists in Cambridge.

The GBW is a cycling nirvana though, apart from the horse shoot.

MisterStan

Label Required
Students that's why. You would have thought all these brainy types would mean that they would be careful and considerate cyclists. Not likely. It's frightening that some of these muppets will some day be politicians, top scientists, doctors, lawyers, architects, teachers, engineers, senior civil servants, top army brass, even hacks. But it has improved in the last couple of years as I think Cambridge County Council and the police have done a lot of work with colleges taking responsibilty for their students being repsonsible cyclists like having lights after dark. But yes there are quite a few kamikaze cyclists in Cambridge.

I agree with most of this, except they can't ALL be students.

You are 100% correct about the GBW - it is a cycling nirvana, i'm happier to take my chances with the horse shoot than the poor drivers around here though.

GrasB

Veteran
I agree with most of this, except they can't ALL be students.
Not all but most. You've also got to remember that there's also all the language schools & medium-term visitors to throw into the mix which won't get the college treatment.

You are 100% correct about the GBW - it is a cycling nirvana, i'm happier to take my chances with the horse shoot than the poor drivers around here though.
the GBW bridle path is fine as long as you want to travel at slow to moderate speeds. Once you get into the low 20mph range it's starting to get uncomfortable when there's a ped or two about & once you start to approach 30mph it downright dangerous. It's not the fault of the facility, it's just what happens when you get very rapid cyclists & pedestrians in the same traveling space

400bhp

Guru

In what way does it frighten you?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
1795552 said:
I see so many instances of illegal driving on a daily basis that I am almost ashamed to admit that I have a driving licence. If I routinely heard people expressing the same I'd take your argument seriously. As it is I see no reason to beat myself for the transgressions of others.

Contradiction aside (which simply confused me as it appeared to be an agreement with my point of view). I never put you down as a sheep Adrian?, I'm surprised you suggest you require the confirmation of others before you form an opinion.:whistle:

MisterStan

Label Required
the GBW bridle path is fine as long as you want to travel at slow to moderate speeds. Once you get into the low 20mph range it's starting to get uncomfortable when there's a ped or two about & once you start to approach 30mph it downright dangerous. It's not the fault of the facility, it's just what happens when you get very rapid cyclists & pedestrians in the same traveling space

Most of the time when i commute the bridleway is pretty empty, i use my bell to alert any peds of my presence and if i need to slow down for dog walkers with their trip wires, i do so.

Top Bottom