Problems running a Bkool trainer with Zwift's new Workout mode.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

I've had an issue trying to run a Bkool Classic (with ANT+ FE-C enabled so an app can control it) with the Zwift program's new workout mode. It's behaving in a manner very similar to that issue reported for trainerroad too...

In Workout ERG mode, the app sets the resistance of the unit to match the power demanded for that segment - and allows a little bit of variation so the user can drop a bit above and bellow the power required. However, the resistance set by the Bkool is far higher and the power output is around 20% more than needed.

For example, one segment needed 240W, but the trainer kept me about 290W, when the next segment was 270W, it kept me around 330W

Just wondering if the same thing is the case for other bkool units?

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am pretty sure this is same issue as TR and needs resolving. Hoping to have a go in the morning and will report back.

scott1505

Regular
Same problem for me i am afraid with both Trainerroad and Zwift. I hope they can fix it but starting to think that as they are having the same problems there may be an issue with the bkool itself that cannot be altered.

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
Hopefully not - bkool themselves can control the device appropriately using ANT+ FE-C - they wouldn't enable FE-C on the machines if they didn't want others to use it. They should be able to help out I would think?

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
No update from Zwift yet but I have noticed that if you turn ERG mode off in a Workout session, the system still adjusts your virtual speed for you depending on the slope of the road and the power you are outputting. This means that you can control your power with your gear selection and cadence only.

This works reasonably well with most intervals and you get a feel as to what to adjust to match the requirement - but the short, sharp, sprint intervals are tricky to hit accurately.

Paulf1566

For me, the resistance of the BKool trainer has stopped changing with the gradient when using Zwift. It has done this fine up until a week ago and is still ok when using the Bkool software.

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
For me, the resistance of the BKool trainer has stopped changing with the gradient when using Zwift. It has done this fine up until a week ago and is still ok when using the Bkool software.

I had this happen a week ago, for some reason. After the Zwift upgrade, when starting, it would automatically detect the trainer but pair it as a power meter, not a controllable trainer (top left block of the pairing page, rather than bottom right). After unpairing and manually pairing as a trainer, it day all OK.

Leodis

Veteran
Thanks fella, shame really. I turned ERG off a few weeks ago as I found it better/more realistic training when ERG got me down to 30rpm and blowing out my rear to maintain FTP.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tried my first workout today. 1h McGovern I think. Seemed fine during to 10 mi. Warm up as went from 80-190 watts but then when required to hit 215w it when bonkers. Dropped to small front and 28 on the cassette and could barely turn the pedals. Deeply frustrating this remains a problem.

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
On the trainerroad page, they just said that they've tested the Bkool-supplied firmware fix and it works. So hopefully the wait shouldn't be too much longer.

Top Bottom