Professional bike fitting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo

Has anybody had a pro bike fit ? If so can you please answer me a couple of questions

1. was it worth it and did it make a difference to your riding ?
2. what did it cost and how long does it take ?
3. Did you have to change parts on your bike post the fit, crankarms, handlebar spacers, that kind of thing ?
4. Where did you get it done, and can anybody recommend anywhere in the North West ideally Merseyside.

Thanks for the help guys

wanda2010

Guru
1. Yes and yes
2. £125, I think and 3 hours
3. New seatpost, handlebars and saddle.
4. London. No, sorry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My climbing buddy wanted a road bike but has suffered years of rugby-induced back trouble including a major disc operation in Hope Hospital so he went to Paul Hewitt. Paul put him on a jig and looked at him wth an experienced eye, changed a few settings, took some measurements then consulted his big book of frames and recommended an Orbea. My pal bought the bike, which Paul built up while we waited. Quite soon after that we did a 100 mile ride around Cheshire; my buddy didn't suffer any back pain at all and still doesn't, three years later.

It costs £50, refundable when you buy the bike. Money well spent.

jay clock

Massive member
Mine was Retul, here http://www.vankru.com/ but south coast. In my case lots of small tinkering so no new parts, but I went from a few niggling discomforts to Ironman length rides with no pain. Unless you have bought fundamentally the wrong bike you are unlikely to be shelling out for loads of new bits. If you do need a stem, worth buying a really cheap one of the right size, then once you have it right, get a pricier and resell the others. I ended up with three £60 stems when I didn't do that!

OP
OP
G

geo

Thanks Jay, it was the Retul system that first got me thinking about it. There is one in Chester but they charge £180 which seems quite a lot hence the questions before I commit to anything

There is a lot of (free) reference material on the internet which will probably give you a close approximation in terms of fit. Well worth giving that a try before shelling out for a pro fit.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Try yourself, then ask club mates advice, then when you are somewhere close but can't quite nail it, go for a pro fitting. That would be my process.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thanks fellas, have sent Paul an enquiry.
I found he didn't reply to emails! Give them a ring. They can be very busy at times but very good. I had a bike fitting and had to get a longer stem, it stopped the knee pain I was getting. A year or so later I went back after I bought another bike and they dug up my measurements and sorted that bike. He builds very good wheels too^_^
No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Iv just had one, little bit more expensive at £160 but that does inc 3 hour fit + further consultation..

How was it: so far I think it was money well spent, I have genuinely never been so comfortable in the saddle, my posture is better and hopefully (though its early days) my 50 mile plus rides will be a whole lot more enjoyable.

In a round about way I was siting too far forward on my bike - saddle went back and up, bars came back and where tiltedto match correct hand placment.

In addition to the actual fit I also gained a good deal of first hand know how regarding the process, concepts and how to correctly measure bike elements/placement which in its self adds too the value.

Iv not yet returned for my consultation though, but so far I'm really please with the service.

http://www.thefootlab.co.uk/THEFOOTLAB/Home.html

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Iv just had one, little bit more expensive at £160 but that does inc 3 hour fit + further consultation..

How was it: so far I think it was money well spent, I have genuinely never been so comfortable in the saddle, my posture is better and hopefully (though its early days) my 50 mile plus rides will be a whole lot more enjoyable.

In a round about way I was siting too far forward on my bike - saddle went back and up, bars came back and where tiltedto match correct hand placment.

In addition to the actual fit I also gained a good deal of first hand know how regarding the process, concepts and how to correctly measure bike elements/placement which in its self adds too the value.

Iv not yet returned for my consultation though, but so far I'm really please with the service.

http://www.thefootlab.co.uk/THEFOOTLAB/Home.html

I'm after a proper bike fit so I'll give them a call. They're not too far away from me

Top Bottom