Proper Novice.....Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knobchops

Hi

I've decided to invest in (what I would class as) a 'decent' bike which I haven't done for some 'considerable' time.
My last bike was a Claud Butler MTB and lasted me about 15yrs!

I literally know nothing about them.

My riding needs are as follows:
Some (mostly fair weather...who am I kidding..definitely fair weather) commuting
Leisurely road/gravel track bike rides
Occasional road/forest riding...nothing too vigorous but some forest type pathways and a bit of hillage
Maximum distance I'm thinking 30 miles although to be fair, if a few pubs are involved maybe further :smile:

I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices but I'd like to know peoples opinions as I've read pretty good reviews for both.

My budget is, absolute top end £700 including lock and helmet.

I'm looking at the Specialized Crosstrail sport disc 2015 (I am a girl but I don't like the Navy Blue girls version or the baby blue) I know colour is not important but damn I need to look good ;)
I've also looked at the Trek 7.4fx disc Hybrid

I'm expecting this bike to last me a long time without too much in the way of maintenance and I want the biggest bang for my buck.

I'd appreciate your comments or other recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
No advice from me... trust me, that is a good thing....

But....

Great username :laugh:

& :welcome: to the forum.

Cyclist33

I know v little about your type of riding but suggest a women's specific model, and maybe no suspension.

Cannondale quick ladies, if they still do it...

vickster

Legendary Member
As a woman, you could also look at the Specialized Vita, the geometry might suit better. Although they are very road oriented, with slicker skinnier tyres, might not be ideal for rougher stuff. Also, Specialized and Trek don't generally give you bang for buck, good frames with lifetime warranties, but expensive using cheaper parts compared to some other brands. Specialized do have some reductions which will narrow the gap slightly - although perhaps only on roadbikes.

Look at the Whyte ranges for hybrids with disc brakes, they do for both genders

Fit is more important than colour (unless the only available colour is black and then stuff fit or look for something else ;) )

Why do you recommend the Sirrus, would the option of suspension not be better for the occasional off road?

Not in my experience. If you aim at the mid range Sirrus, there is enough give in the forks, to soak up the conditions that you will experience, without needing the weight of sus forks.

Suspension forks are heavy, unless they are very expensive.
They only work well on high speed, rough tracks, if they are expensive.
Cheap sus forks are an anchor to drag around for very occasional need. You can substitute riding skill, which is cheaper, lighter and more fun to acquire.
Bikes like the Vita come with medium road/commuter tyres, but you may be able to fit wider off-road tyres, according to the frame clearance.
Disc brakes are gggreat, esp in wet and muddy conditions.

You probably need threaded eyelets on the frame and fork for fitting rack and mudguards. Don't accept clip-on substitutes.

BigCoops

How about a female specific or suitably sized male CX bike?

If such a thing exists...(female specific CX), it would seem from your stated needs to be the ideal solution. You can fit different tyres to suit the riding you do, (in fact some CX tyres have slick middle treads with knobbly shoulders) most come with rack and guard mounts. A bit more sturdy in the build over a road bike, but lighter than something like a cross trail. Drop bars may be an issue but you can get them wih interrupter levers as OEM in some cases.

I was once the pilot of a Spesh Tricross and it was pretty much a do it all machine.

CX bikes are very nice but a bit niche so more expensive/not as good value as more mainstream bikes. A non-sus "hybrid" has the same features as a modern CX except for flar bars and is equally capable, given the same tyres.

Top Bottom