Prozac or derivatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone. I think its definitely an age thing but whatever is causing it I cannot stop thinking about my own mortality and eventually leaving my love ones behind. Mind you rather that than them to leave me at a far younger age. Anyway the doctor had diagnosed that I have an anxiety disorder after telling him about the strange feelings I have been getting of late is throat restricting stomach pains etc and he now wantse to take a Prozac derivative but before o do I thought that I would seek advice from yourselves. So has anyone had any experience of this drug and does anyone have any strong opinions either way on it. Or is really just a case of getting out on my bike more.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's a case of asking the professional as he is the best person to seek advice from no?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Doc's already given advice to take them hasn't he?

My experience is that they work well. It's worth reading how they work as most people really don't understand that it's not the pill that makes you happy like a narcotic or alcohol per se, it's just that they correct an imbalance (temporary - stress/SAD or permanently) in your body Chemistry. I find they just lift my mood up a notch or two and I feel generally sunnier and better able to cope with the negative stuff of life ... just like people with regular Serotonin levels can. I don't feel they are difficult to come off from either. But it depends on your chemistry and circumstances specifically at the end of the day.
From my own experience, I would take them. I've had periods on them (6months) and then years without them. They always bring me back where I should be.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
And that might be a reason why the OP wants to know if/how people's experiences differ and how it might affect him.
It might also cure his bulimia

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've been prescribed Fluoxetine by my GP in 2001, and Citalopram in 2008 and 2012. They don't have an immediate effect, but over time (think 4 weeks to a few months) you may notice your mood is more stable, there may be some side effects (not necessarily unpleasant).

Drago

Legendary Member
Citalopram made me physically quite ill, nauseous and sick feeling. Fine on fluoxetine, though doc is still tinkering with the dose.

If your Doc says its a good thing, and if you're sure he's not a quack, then do as he says.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was prescribed Prozac for anxiety and mild depression in the early 90's. I felt in a better place after taking it for a while, however it doesn't cure the underlying reasons though so I considered it to be a crutch to aid my recovery. In more recent years with the blessing of my doctor I have taken St Johns Wort as a natural alternative. In most European countries it is prescribed not in the UK though as it is classed as a supplement not a medicine.
The biggest thing to remember though is you are not alone. Far more people than you realise have similar issues but due to the perceived stigma of mental health problems, it is not as widely broadcast even though it should, as realising you are not alone in itself is of comfort.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone for your quick responses to my thread.As you would expect there were those I liked in preference to others but the fact that each of you replied is really appreciated by me.
I am currently sitting here contemplating whether I should now take today's pill my second one and by what I have read from those that have had experiences of this drug I think that it may be worth at least giving them a try.
Its got to be worth a try as just thinking about it has set my stomach off.
I also appreciate receiving your support rather than ridicule.

User269

What derivative? Another SSRI (selective serotinin uptake inhibitor)? Not often effective for treating anxiety as such (Fluoxetine itself (Prozac) would probably make it worse), although can help with depression. Have you been properly diagnosed? Referred for assessment by the practice counsellor/IAPT/CMHT? If none of these abbreviations make sense, you haven't been.

The symptoms you describe can be managed and eased by learning relaxation techniques and new ways of thinking, for example CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). These approaches can be more effective when treated with appropriate medication. Getting out on your bike more will also help a great deal.

Best wishes with resolving these issues. They're extremely common and not difficult to deal with, given the right help. I speak as both a (retired) mental health care professional :thanks:, former (hopefully) clinically diagnosed depressive :rain:, and cyclist! :bicycle:

Top Bottom