PSU replaced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
For the second time in 18 months, my PC went kaput and just died (after a faint burning smell for a couple of days)
Couldnt get any voltage readings out of the various plugs, so assumed the PSU was dead.
PC world, £29...20 minutes work...and all's well.

How much would that have cost me if i'd put the PC in at PC World ?

18 months ? Doesnt seem much of a lifespan, does it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Surly the warranty was for longer than 18 months?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Hairy Jock said:
Surly the warranty was for longer than 18 months?

Nah, if only....
The PC is about 2 or 3 years old.

The first PSU went just after a year, the second one lasted 18 months or so.
I'm just glad its not an expensive item.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
No, it's a JeanTech jobby from PC World.
It was a 300Watt originally, i upgraded to a 355 watt last time, so output shouldnt be a problem. The PC does get a lot of use, especially if the sons playing Call of Duty :angry:.

Just interested to know if 18 months is unusual, or maybe JeanTech are as bad as QTec (allegedly :angry:)

Bman

Guru
Over the last 5-10 years Ive had quite a few power supplies. Usually against the advice from friends and colleagues ive bought a cheap one. Qtec or simelar.

Whenever you answer "qtec" to someone in the know, you get that reaction that makes you wish you hadn't mentioned it. In the 10 year period I mention, Ive probably had 6 power supplies. 5 Qtec, and one Corsair. The final straw was when the last Qtec PSU I owned, blew, and took out my motherboard. Oh the smug looks I got when I mentioned it at work. So, the next PSU was a £120 620w Corsair branded Modular PSU. Its lasted me nearly 5 years, and was a great investment. Kept with it now for over 3 full hardware upgrades.

I dont expect it to fail anytime soon and the rest of my parts are not at risk.

Moral of the story... You get what you pay for.

Top Bottom