Psychological safety aid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Indigo one

Regular
I have done some amateur experimentation following a couple of near misses on the road and wondered if any research has been done in a similar vein...
Namely the human beain is a pattern recognition engine and certain patterns seem to elicit a marked response...I have a frame painted with a reasonably accurate zebra stripe and the number of double takes from motorists and pedestrians was remarkable, more so than a bright yellow frame.
Has anyone else noticed this effect with their paint scheme?
Im going to try another scheme on a bike im building currently.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1401187900896.jpg
    FB_IMG_1401187900896.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 160

Soup890

Crazy
Well I'd like to see it work. But I wear a bright orange cycling jacket and cars still drive close to me.

It's all down to luck. Your life is in the hands of motorist

Blurb

Über Member
Interesting idea, but the frontal and rear profiles are very narrow, so I guess any effect is greatly diminished from the angles a cyclist needs maximum "impact" from.
I'm a hiviz/reflectives person but I suspect a Zebra suit would be just as effective.

Edit: I find my panniers give a "wide vehicle" effect and reduce close passes regardless of how hiviz/reflective I am.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Lady at work has done something similar on her commuter bike but with reflective tape.

In reality its the "clown effect" - people notice because it stands out, much like a clown walking down the high street would. I do wonder though if a pair of eyes on the back of a jersey might have some effect? I've read of this psychological technique being used on posters to stop thieves (including bike thieves).

Please be extra careful when cycling past lions.

Used to be a selling point for Raleigh

1084477112_4cc55537ac.jpg

raleigh-bicycle-lion-vintage-bicycle-poster.jpg

vintage_bicycle_poster_ad_lion_riding_bike-r590cd8d1f59c4eb7a15c399ebb58597f_f3z7p_8byvr_512.jpg

OP
OP
Indigo one

Indigo one

Regular
I think that any deeply recognised patterns would trigger a response enough to look twice and I think this supplements the clown effect...
The problem is the cycle frame has a small surface area so few patterns work.
Wasp stripe
Zebra stripe
Are the best so far but for these it doesn't require much processing to fill in the pattern. I'm gping to try a cultural rather than biological pattern for the next try.
Ill let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
Indigo one

Indigo one

Regular
Absolutely.
At an evolutionary level we developed pattern recognition and an ability to fill in the gaps for survival...seeing the back end of a lion sticking out of a bush means there's a teeth filled end we can't see but know is there.
Human beings are extraordinarily good at filling in gaps and interpretation ....so we see the face of Jesus in clouds and potato chips...I'm trying to provoke the response because the extra processing in the brain means registering my existance on the road more than a cursory glance would.
Well that's the theory anyway...

Top Bottom