Puncture repair... road side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

I can only find negatively reviewed Utube videos on how this can/should be done. My learning needs have just increased now that I have had the detrimental experience of walking home with a puncture, and without any repair gear at all?

Tbh! When I repair a puncture at home, I generally take over the kitchen for the operation.

MikeW-71

Veteran

Rule no 1: Have two tubes and repair at home if you can, rather than next to the roadside.
Rule no 2: Remove puncture causing object from tyre before fitting new/repaired tube.
Rule no 3: Don't bother attempting to repair a puncture at the valve's neck or right next to the valve itself. It is futile.
Rule no 4: Abrade the patch area on the tube with sandpaper, not that funny raspy thing that comes with puncture kits.
Rule no 5: Never touch either the inside of the patch or the patch area on the tube with your fingers. Never.
Rule no 6: Apply rubber cement to tube only and let dry - 5 minutes at least. If it is raining and the tube is getting wet, start walking. It won't work.
Rule no 7: Don't remove the cellphane backing from the patch, only the foil.
Rule no 8: Apply patch firmly and exactly, It cannot be repositioned. Apply pressure,
Rule no 9: Don't attempt to pull cellophane off. Rather fold the patch/patched area over and score the centre of the patch with a sharp object so that the stretched cellphane bursts. Leave it on. You can remove it later. Attempting to take it off now may lift the patch.
Rule no 10: Periodically check if the glue in your saddle bag is still good. Replace once a year.

I keep a stock of tubes and patch in batches when TV is rubbish that evening. It saves on glue which inevitably goes hard in between patching sessions.

I never pay for tubes, they are discarded at large races and charities alongside the road. I collect them and fix them up.

Never suck on strange tubes to evacuate them for storage, some people inflate with CO2 and sucking on that isn't nice.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Must be a well asked question, my apologies. Great responses, my bad. Thank you all!

Edit: Counting great responses.

snorri

Legendary Member
Must be a well asked question, my apologies. Great responses, my bad. Thank you all!

Edit: Counting great responses.
No need for apologies:smile:.
While it is possible to get back on your bike and away faster after a puncture if you change the tube at the roadside, there is not always a need to get away fast. There is something to be said for fixing the puncture without taking the wheel off. The part that takes the time is waiting for the glue to set, but you can always have a smoke or have a cup of tea or just generally appreciate your outdoor surroundings while the glue dries then put the tube back in the tyre inflate and get on your way again, job done and no homework required:smile:.
Of course this is fine when cycling solo but might annoy others waiting for you when group cycling.

Last edited:

Colnago Master

A fix for a split sidewall is handy, for the rare occasion it happens. Proper way is using a rubber boot I think but I have paper money (rupees cos they're cheap) in my saddlebag. Gel wrappers or anything similar to get you home. It sits inside the tyre to stop the inner tube blistering out.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I carry one spare tube and glueless patches. I use the glueless patches for a home repair nowadays too.

All you need then is a couple of decent tyre levers (I like park tool blue ones a lot) and a decent mini pump: Lezyne do a couple of good un's or a Topeak pocket rocket, all ~£20 & good VFM and will put 100psi in without your arm falling off.

One useful extra to carry is latex gloves, they keep your hands cleaner and if its cold or wet are a real bonus over numb fingers.

The practice is no different roadside than at home.

mark c

Über Member
A lesson from the weekend. That piece of flint caused me three Punctures i checked the tyre after each, i only found it once the broom wagon had collected me from the roadside and i was at home with my glasses on
IMGP0003.JPG

Top Bottom