Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I'll be visiting this place on and off for an unknown amount of weeks, possibly from next week.

Firstly, how easy is access from the M6 coming from the north?
Secondly, what's the parking like?

My local hospital, UHNS, has zero parking so I always have a taxi. A taxi is out for these coming trips because it's over 50 miles away. I've looked at trains but the cost is ridiculous, especially if I need to get 2 returns on peak times. I've then got to factor in a taxi to and from the train station because walking is not an option.

vickster

Legendary Member
Costs etc here, although someone might be able to tell you how busy the carpark gets

http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/car-parking.htm

And getting there http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/travelling-by-car.htm

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you call the hospital and ask how busy the parking gets typically? It'll probably vary by time of day, depending on clinic times and visiting hours

Try main reception or the department you'll be visiting, they'll likely know based on patient feedback

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
Just waiting to see which department we're visiting before ringing @vickster

[QUOTE 4522480, member: 45"]I used to work there, and could see the hospital (looks like 3 toilets) from our house.

It's not the most straightforward place to get to from M6 north. I'd come down onto the M5 and come in off junction 2 or 3. Satnav will take you through the centre of Birmingham, but congestion there is unpredictable.

There's a multi-storey car park on-site, which is charged. You'd struggle to find any on-street parking within a decent walking distance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks @User M5 isn't a problem ( except for rush hour being built up back onto the m6:sad:)

how's the availability of parking on the multi-storey ? Not bothered about cost, it's going to be cheaper than trains/taxis, plus we can get to car easily and without fuss.

The pita will be not knowing how often and when we're going to be there. It could be every day for a week, 2 days the following week and so on.

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4522492, member: 45"]It's been a while since we were there, but there are at least 2 multi-storeys and I've not heard of people having problems parking.[/QUOTE]
That sounds good, really need to be close to the hospital.

The parking at our nearest is an absolute nightmare, it can't be any worse than here. Hopefully will know in the next couple of days when we're down there.

gavgav

Guru
I'll be visiting this place on and off for an unknown amount of weeks, possibly from next week.

Firstly, how easy is access from the M6 coming from the north?
Secondly, what's the parking like?

My local hospital, UHNS, has zero parking so I always have a taxi. A taxi is out for these coming trips because it's over 50 miles away. I've looked at trains but the cost is ridiculous, especially if I need to get 2 returns on peak times. I've then got to factor in a taxi to and from the train station because walking is not an option.

I've unfortunately had to spend some time there for treatment myself and also visited my mum there for about 6 months.

There is a big multi storey car park in which I was always able to find a space, does get busy at the main outpatient clinic times.

If you are visiting on a regular basis you are able to apply for a permit that allows you to have reduced parking costs. If you go to the office that is situated in the car park, they will give you a form to complete and then issue you with your permit.

All the best

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've unfortunately had to spend some time there for treatment myself and also visited my mum there for about 6 months.

There is a big multi storey car park in which I was always able to find a space, does get busy at the main outpatient clinic times.

If you are visiting on a regular basis you are able to apply for a permit that allows you to have reduced parking costs. If you go to the office that is situated in the car park, they will give you a form to complete and then issue you with your permit.

All the best

Thanks @gavgav :okay:

I'll ask about the permit, and thanks all.

Nothing through the post today so still don't know when we're going, it'll probably arrive on Monday through the post telling us we've got be there at 10.00am:whistle:
A letter arrived yesterday for an appointment we had the day before!

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
If somebody happens upon this thread, here's my experiences............

the main carpark A, is a nightmare! anytime after 9.30am it's almost impossible to get a space unless you've got a disability badge. Floors 1 & 4 are main parking, I've driven around the thing for an hour to get a spot. The other multi-storey by the PET scan building is just as bad. Luckily I've been able to get a spot because they've allowed me in early for visiting, if you're late, you're stuffed.

The weekly parking pass is a must-£19. Our first visit without a pass cost us £13.90 for 8.5 hours!!!!!!

I'd advise anybody traveling from the north M6 to take the M5 and exit at jct3, less traffic and easier junctions. This is a good way home too, if you can remember the route.

Take note the M6 is a smart mway form Stafford down into Birmingham. The speeds over the gantries are fixed to cameras. so beware. I've never had a farking ticket or point in my entire life but apparently 47mph on a 40 gantry sign is enough for a fine and points, even if the roads are empty. They lull you into doing 50/60mph for 4 gantries then drop it to 40 for no reason (except of course ££££ ). I've been told the cameras are fixed to the speed shown too, no 10%+2mph.

Parking on Saturday and Sunday is easy. Most of the staff don't work at weekends so there's ample parking.

Tvs on the wards are now to be paid for, £26 per week. The phone is also connected to this 10p/min out, 50p/min in!!

The staff on the wards are also fantastic people, who are massively overworked and underpaid, but they always manage a laugh and smile.

OP
OP
djb1971

djb1971

Legendary Member
Thanks @User14044

my wife is back out on Monday but its gone 90% ok, there's been a complication. It'll get sorted out but looks like she'll be back in for Christmas, they may not let her out either because they want to operate again too :sad:

Christmas is on hold for now. I'm popping her tree and stuff up ready for Monday, so it'll be Christmas for a couple of weeks anyway.

Take care of Mrs R. Family first, other pointless stuff after. It's funny how much they annoy us at times but life's shoot without them :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks @User14044

my wife is back out on Monday but its gone 90% ok, there's been a complication. It'll get sorted out but looks like she'll be back in for Christmas, they may not let her out either because they want to operate again too :sad:

Christmas is on hold for now. I'm popping her tree and stuff up ready for Monday, so it'll be Christmas for a couple of weeks anyway.

Take care of Mrs R. Family first, other pointless stuff after. It's funny how much they annoy us at times but life's shoot without them :okay:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :hugs:

machew

Veteran
If somebody happens upon this thread, here's my experiences............

Tvs on the wards are now to be paid for, £26 per week. The phone is also connected to this 10p/min out, 50p/min in!!
When my missus was at the QE for a week, I found that using a tablet and a 4g Wifi hotspot was cheaper than the TVs. When they said that mobile devices where not allowed I showed them the Using mobile phones in NHS hospitals guidance. They then said that the chargers should be PAT Tested, I referred them to the Maintaining portable electric equipment in low-risk environments document which says " Not every electrical item needs a portable appliance test (PAT). In some cases, a simple user check and visual inspection is enough, eg checking for loose cables or signs of fire damage and, if possible, checking inside the plug for internal damage, bare wires and the correct fuse."

Top Bottom