Queen wasp or hornet??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have just done battle with one of the biggest, black and yellow stripey gits I've ever seen!

It came in through the open window sounding like a lawn-mower and it took five hits of fly spray before I vanquished it. Having first carefully poked it to make sure it really is dead, it measures just over an inch from its head to the tip of its stripey arse! Queen wasp or hornet?! I think it's a hornet!

Globalti

Legendary Member
This website probably has the best comparison pictures: http://www.hampshire-waspcontrol.co.uk/wasp-nest.html

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Uuuurgh! looking at the photos, it has definitely got much more yellow than black, and a slightly red/yellow head with big eyes, I think it's a sodding hornet. My God, I hope there's not a nest nearby! I am terrified of the following things: wasps, hornets, spiders, cockroaches, maybugs, horses, bulls.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to kill everything that flies. Was it doing you any harm? Are you allergic to wasp stings? If neither of these, why didn't you just leave it alone?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to kill everything that flies. Was it doing you any harm? Are you allergic to wasp stings? If neither of these, why didn't you just leave it alone?

Stripy aggressive b@rstards.
I think we should nuke the entire nest from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...
I hate wasps!!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
whats wrong wit the jar/card combo... they'd much rather be out than in. Saying that, I too feckin hate the flying stinging buggers, they are not of this earth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tend to get honey bees coming in my office, so carefully catch them with a clear glass and card and flick them out. Had to catch a mahoosive Bumble Bee from the kids trampoline it has a tent like cover - i.e. rain proof - that was tricky standing on a bouncy trampoline trying to catch this jumbo jet bee.

Stripy aggressive b@rstards.
I think we should nuke the entire nest from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...

I thought you were talking about the Cornish Rugby Team!

Cornwall-rugby_1014245c.jpg

Then I read

I hate wasps!!

asterix

Comrade Member

Yes, we had a hornets nest in our garden, in a hollow tree. It was there for 2 years altho' hornets tend only to use a nest once.

They are quite inoffensive to humans and not aggressive. They eat other insects, including wasps and are beneficial rather than a pest.

I leave most insects alone, except bloodsuckers such as mosquitos, ticks and horse-flies.

Top Bottom