Question about headset assembly (Schwinn GTX-2)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

debedb

I ordered a Schwinn GTX-2bike,which came partially assembled.During the assembly process I managed to drop the fork, which made the headset assembly fall out of the head tube into few pieces, and now I am having a hard time assembling those.

The manual, of course, just warns you not to drop it, but does not explain how the pieces fit together. This is a threadless headset, and I can kind of make sense of the Wikipedia picture, but still have an issue with a few things. Here are the parts:
parts.jpg
Now, ok, 1 is the top cap, 3 compression ring, 4 and 5 are the bearings, 8 and 9 are spacers. What are 2 and 6? And what is 7? It is more clearly shown here:
part1.png
Is it the crown race per the Wikipedia picture? But then what is the similar-loo king thing that sits right on the fork:
fork.png
Thanks in advance!

Levo-Lon

Guru
2 and 6 are sealing rings.
Crown race on fork 7.
Seal ring should surtound the fork crown,with the ridge facing up.
bearing wide side down.

bearing wide side up
Seal ring ,ridge down
lock ring ridge down .
top cap and spacers..
Im pretty sure thats it
hth .

spacer will be

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The forks may have come with a crown race installed and then the supplier has slipped a complete headset package on top.

See if the bearings run in the groove on the race already fitted and if so use that and keep the other for spare.

OP
OP
debedb

debedb

Ah, well, ok, thanks for that piece of information. What about items 2 and 6? (Plastic).

OP
OP
debedb

debedb

uclown2002: thanks, for some reason I only saw accountantpete's reply, and missed meta Ion's. Now I see it. Thank you everyone. But this invites a couple more questions:
meta Ion, I don't quite understand what you mean "crown race on fork 7". The thing is that in my second picture, that piece that I labeled #7 *looks* same as the one as in the fork picture, but the one on the fork came with the bike like that -- that means that there are two parts somehow (which is what accountantpete is saying)? And where do the seals go under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heads...cle_headset_(threadless)_exploded_view-en.png ?

Top Bottom