Question about Roger Mussons wheelbuilding Book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Firstly let me say its the best book I have ever read on wheel building and would highly recommend it to anybody.
Just one question for those of you have read it..... it mentions early on about "type 1" rims and "type 2" saying that "type one" rims have the first spoke hole to the left of the valve as the one which is higher on the rim and proceeds to base all his advice on subsequent spoke lacing using this as the default type to be expected. He briefly mentions "type 2" rims where the first spoke hole is lower on the rim and says that this is rare in anything but very old rims and if you encounter it then just use the second (higher) spoke hole to the left as the first spoke to insert and then presumably just follow instructions as normal I'm not sure I've explained this clearly but those of you who have the book will I hope understand. I've laced numerous "type 1" rims and they all work perfectly but starting second on the left with type 2 rims always goes wrong and I end up without the appropriate spoke spacing on either side of the valve hole. Has anybody found the same problem and resolved it please

Tim Hall

I think I follow you. As a veteran of lacing two wheels I might have it wrong though. Have a look at Sheldon Brown's site here for his take on lacing. He mentions the "use the next hole" dodge as well, which I've had to do and it all worked out in the end.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I think I follow you. As a veteran of lacing two wheels I might have it wrong though. Have a look at Sheldon Brown's site here for his take on lacing. He mentions the "use the next hole" dodge as well, which I've had to do and it all worked out in the end.

Thanks Tim. I'll see what he has to say. Roger Mussons book is usually so precise and accurate, I expected him to expand upon this concept and was wondering if I needed to do something else different further on in the lacing process to compensate for the second hole option.I'm gratified thatat least one person here knew what the hell I was talking about :smile:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Tim , I think this is the extract you refer to? It doesn't say anything else about doing anything different further in the lacing process so I guess I'm repeating a silly mistake somewhere. The only difference between Sheldon and Roger Musson is that Roger starts from the left on the drive side.
depending on how the rim is drilled
"As viewed from the right (sprocket) side of the hub, the key spoke will run counterclockwise, and it will go to either the hole just to the right of the valve hole (as illustrated) or the second hole to the right, depending on how the rim is drilled. The aim is to make the four spokes closest to the valve hole all angle away from the valve, giving easier access to the valve for inflation.!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Assuming you are looking at the 5th edition of Musson that's been around for a while....
Page 42
If your rim is the less common type 2 then there are just two slight modifications and these are clearly shown in the text.
Page 43
Type 2 rims place a spoke through the 2nd left rim hole.
Page 44
Type 2 rims, select the hole [in the hub] to the right [of the one you sighted from the other side]
and lower down
Type 2 rims, place [in the rim hole] to the right.

Follow ALL the steps, it does work, I've done it.

It's your "and then presumably just follow instructions as normal" where things go wrong.

I shan't recount my own (many) lacing errors...:cry:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Spot on Pete, thanks very much.... I must have read page 44 10 times and still not noticed the "sighting to the right " for type 2's :sad:
Note to self "READ INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY"
I dropped Roger Musson a quick message and got the same answer about an hour later!!.... what a helpful guy.and imho his book is so much better than dear old Sheldon and Shraeners efforts.

When I started I spent about 3 days trying to figure our ERD's then realised I'd forgotten to add the 2x200 mm spoke lengths as per Rogers instructions!!!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
As you say, he is indeed most helpful.
I made a lacing mistake once and e-mailed him, because I thought it worthy of inclusion in a future edition as it came up with a very distinct pattern of alternate pairs of of overtight and very loose spokes.
He responded with thanks and an amusing tale of one of his own disasters !

As you say, he is indeed most helpful.
I made a lacing mistake once and e-mailed him, because I thought it worthy of inclusion in a future edition as it came up with a very distinct pattern of alternate pairs of of overtight and very loose spokes.
He responded with thanks and an amusing tale of one of his own disasters !
Zombie Thread Alert. :excl:
I've made this mistake too. It took me 2 weeks to work out what I had done wrong, first assuming my rim or hub measurements were bad. Love the book, highly recommend it. I tell everyone I meet who asks me about my wheels to get it!

Top Bottom