Question about wheels and tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

I assume not all 700c wheels are exactly the same in dimensions, with some wider than others. But how do you know which tyre widths they are able to take?

There's a bike I'm interested in, but its tyres on it quite thin, at 23mm. For the sake of better traction and a more comfortable ride, I'd like slightly wider tyres, something like 32mm? Can I fit those onto the wheels?

park1

Somewhere on the rim it will tell you the max tyre width. Most wheels that take a 23mm will go up to 28mm. If it's a road bike you would need to check the clearance under the brakes. Some are very tight and this may limit the tyre size you can use.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Somewhere on the rim it will tell you the max tyre width. Most wheels that take a 23mm will go up to 28mm. If it's a road bike you would need to check the clearance under the brakes. Some are very tight and this may limit the tyre size you can use.

so just make sure that there's enough room between the braking components and the existing tyres?

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's the biggest restriction on a road bike with caliper rim brakes. Bear in mind that 23mm has been the standard for many years and people are just beginning to go for 25mm instead. You won't necessarily get any more grip from a wider tyre, but it would be more comfortable as you can run it at lower pressure.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

That's the biggest restriction on a road bike with caliper rim brakes. Bear in mind that 23mm has been the standard for many years and people are just beginning to go for 25mm instead. You won't necessarily get any more grip from a wider tyre, but it would be more comfortable as you can run it at lower pressure.

But I think know the bike I'm interested in has caliper rim brakes.

This is the description of its brakes: B'TWIN double brake pivot with pads mounted on brake shoes to facilitate replacement when worn down, without modifying the position of the brakes

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-500-...l#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mudguard clearance is another consideration. A bike that will take mudguards with 23 or 25mm tyres may not have enough clearance once you try fiiting wider tyres.
edit: Why not ask Decathlon?

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Sheldon has a nice chart showing rim/tire size compatibility (scroll down near the bottom on the link).

But, as others say, brake/frame clearance limitations are likely to be more restrictive.

Reactions: mjr

MikeW-71

Veteran
Ah, it's a flat-bar road bike then :smile:

It is very likely that the widest tyre that will fit is 25mm. As said above, if you want to fit mudguards, you might need 23mm for proper clearance. My road bike is restricted this way too.

You needn't be worried about tyre width, what matters more is the rubber compound and tyre construction. I've never ridden the Hutchison Equinox tyres, but my personal favourites are the Continental GP4000S or GP 4seasons which have great grip wet or dry and are still puncture resistant.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Mudguard clearance is another consideration. A bike that will take mudguards with 23 or 25mm tyres may not have enough clearance once you try fiiting wider tyres.

Here are some photos of the bike. I'm not sure if you can tell whether it has enough space.

top of rear wheel

top of rear wheel.jpg

top of front wheel

top of front wheel.jpg

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Ah, it's a flat-bar road bike then :smile:

It is very likely that the widest tyre that will fit is 25mm. As said above, if you want to fit mudguards, you might need 23mm for proper clearance. My road bike is restricted this way too.

You needn't be worried about tyre width, what matters more is the rubber compound and tyre construction. I've never ridden the Hutchison Equinox tyres, but my personal favourites are the Continental GP4000S or GP 4seasons which have great grip wet or dry and are still puncture resistant.

You're referring to the amount of grip?

Anyway I thought wide tyres are more comfortable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Can't tell from photos. Personally be surprised if it could take 32mm tyres. BTW I ride 23 or 25mm tyres all year round and don't find traction or comfort a problem :thumbsup:

MikeW-71

Veteran
You're referring to the amount of grip?

Anyway I thought wide tyres are more comfortable.
Yes. Wider can be more comfy due to lower pressure, but don't automatically give more grip. I run 23mm all year anyway without a problem. My CX bike runs 28mm as it's got disc brakes and the clearance is huge. I could put 40mm on that bike if I wanted. :smile:

Very hard to say without measuring, but it looks like quite generous clearance, so you might be able to go to 28mm.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Very hard to say without measuring, but it looks like quite generous clearance, so you might be able to go to 28mm.

Depends on the clearance to the brake bridge, I guess, which is not shown.

Incidentally, I am running Hutchinson equinox 23 mm on one bike (got cheap from the corner of the workshop at an LBS). Zero punctures since spring, and they roll great.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Yes. Wider can be more comfy due to lower pressure, but don't automatically give more grip. I run 23mm all year anyway without a problem. My CX bike runs 28mm as it's got disc brakes and the clearance is huge. I could put 40mm on that bike if I wanted. :smile:

Depends on the clearance to the brake bridge, I guess, which is not shown.

Incidentally, I am running Hutchinson equinox 23 mm on one bike (got cheap from the corner of the workshop at an LBS). Zero punctures since spring, and they roll great.

I've found a better photo here:

top of real wheel 2.png

Top Bottom