Racing in Britain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sikhandar

Dear bike-colleagues, I'm an italian rider (27yo) and I think next year I'll come to your country to do some job there (I think for 2-3 years... I'm a phd in chemistry, now I've some contacts in your country and I'll have to come there to do some "job interviews" in the very next week...).

I know that down there in england it's quite (ehm) rainy... well ok, but is there a national federation of cycling organising amateur racing? or it's all mess-up with elite races? (In Italy the two things are strictly differentiated) Are there amateur races...? in which period?

Well, thinking again about this I don't really know if I'll be able (I'll be working in a company...) to do "the rider's life", that is, racing every saturday+sunday + at least 2 hours on tue / wed / thu... here in Italy (this year) I did about 50 races from feb to oct, but training during the week was a bit difficult (from 7:00 to 9:00 in the morning... being a bit flexible).

How do you solve this problem? Do you train early in the morning too? :laugh:

Will1985

Über Member
Benvenuto! The national federation is British Cycling (www.britishcycling.org.uk) - it lists events of all different categories all over the country.

I'm afraid that riding in Italy and riding in the UK cannot compare - I loved riding in Italy for the weather, quality of most roads, and drivers who are courteous to cyclists. Sadly (and I think most will agree) the same cannot be said for the UK.

yenrod

My hearty goes out to Sikhandar - having seen his country and how interesting it is to cyclist, generally - cycling is literally a gutter sport here !

OP
OP
S

Sikhandar

Oh well thanks for the welcome...you're very kind! ok, now, I'm trying to understand something on britishcycling, so if I see "next races" on november 2nd I see "Fowlmead winter series 5", and it sounds like a criterium (Ok, it sounds strange to me, here in italy they're extremely rare but ok, it's a race)

But what does it mean "classification regional C+"? and "Rider cat"? Are the categories by age or by merit? ("Band 5" wazzat?)

rjeffroy

Amateur racers are divided into categories ("cats"), Elite, 1, 2, 3, 4. Riders start at cat 4 and move up the categories by getting points from placing in races. If you get 10 points you can go from 4 to 3, if you get 40 points you can go from 3 to 2 and so on.

Entry to races may be restricted to certain rider categories, typically 3,4 or E,1,2.

The race classification (e.g. "regional C+") tells you something about what kind of race it is, including the distance or race time.

The race band determines how many points will be allocated to finishing positions in the race.

Criteriums are quite common in the UK. In London you will probably have the choice of 3 or 4 evening crit races a week during Summer, as well as longer road races at the weekend.

OP
OP
S

Sikhandar

Hey man you've been of great help, I couldn't have been able to find these data from the britishcycling website! Thanks a lot, I hope we'll meet in UK :evil::becool::tongue::becool:

(well ok now I've to understand how could I race with an italian federation affiliation... don't tell me that I could only do "Go Race" events! I'll contact some judge of sort...)

OP
OP
S

Sikhandar

itisaboutthebike said:
If I were you mate I'd stay in Italy !

Eh, many told me that... though with my work I'll get the double of money in UK... I think I'll go back to Italy at some time, but for now i'm coming there ;)

Molteni Mike

So you want to ride your first time trial?.........here are the basics.

Join a Club. .................This is the best way to find out about the sport and get loads of advice from fellow enthusiasts. Not sure which club to join? Checkout the full list of over 900 CTT affiliated clubs[/url] for one near you. Alternatively, contact your CTT District Council[/url] for advice as to a good local club. You need to be at least 12 to be permitted to ride a CTT Time Trial.

Cycling Time Trials Ltd. This is the sport's governing body in England and Wales. The full Rules and Regulations are on the CTT website[/url] and in the CTT Handbook[/url].

Types of event.

.............Open events. These require pre entry, typically a couple of weeks beforehand; there are no entries on the day. Prizes and awards are given in these events and the entry fee is around £7. A full list of open CTT time trials can be found here[/url]. Organisers’ addresses are not on the CTT site, for full details you’ll need the CTT Handbook[/url]. You’ll need to fill in the official CTT entry form[/url] for an open event, including the Parental Consent Form[/url] if you are under 18.

.............Club events. Because of the informality of entry, club events are most riders’ introduction to the sport. These are held mostly in the evenings and can be entered on the day. Most clubs have a facility to become a “Day Member” to allow unaffiliated riders to ride. Details of club events are not held centrally, but by the local CTT District Councils[/url] many of whom have websites[/url] listing events in their area.

Courses. These have codes which may appear confusing at first. Actually they are to precisely identify the start, finish and route. A broad description of the course area can be viewed here[/url]. Additionally, precise maps and aerial views of many courses can be seen here[/url]. Full course details will be on the start sheet of open events.

Clothing. “Trade” clothing is only allowed in open events where the correct club sponsorship rules have been followed. Trade clothing is allowed in club events. Regulation 16[/url] gives full details about permitted clothing. Safety helmets are compulsory only for under 18s but recommended for everyone else.

Bike. You’ll need one of these to time trial. Regulation 14[/url] relates to bikes. UCI bike rules do not apply to CTT time trials.

Distances. The standard distances are 10, 25, 30, 50, 100 miles and 12, 24 hours where the winner is the rider who covers the greatest distance in the time. Many hilly events are at non-standard distances.

Dave5N

Über Member
He wanted to race, not do a pointless ride up and down the dual carriageway.

:becool:

Where are you staying? Let me know and we can put you in touch with a decent local club. They'll help you train at race at the right level for you.

Don't worry about all the negative things said here, it is just British, ahem, humour. (I hope.)

Meanwhile, as it's winter, have you thought about cyclocross?

OP
OP
S

Sikhandar

still don't know, maybe in the triangle birmingham - nottingham - manchester, it's full of chemical companies over there. Boh?!

I've never practised cross despite of the growing italian movement... my activites are road and track (I'd like to ride - race? is it possible? - on a UK velodrome... I've never been on a wooden track, in Italy they're all in concrete or resin).

Dave5N

Über Member
Well, if you stay in that area you are near at least one track. Manchester has the world-famous indoor velodrome, and there are outdoor tracks at the edges of the area.

They all have leagues - you need to get accredited at Manchester - basically just prove you are afe on the boards. The outdoor tracks have leagues during the summer months only.

Coaching is available at most clubs - my club, Halesowen has a sponsored road team as well as strong participation in cyclo-cross (currently leading the West Midlands league for the third year running) and of course we own our own outdoor velodrome.

Check us out at www.halesowencycling.net

Top Bottom