Raleigh Royal mid 80's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Last night I picked up what looks to be a very nice and original Raleigh Royal from the early 80’s.

Upon quick inspection it looks like it just needs a good lube service along with some new cables and brake pads to go along with the already replaced tyres which were good tread wise but the front side wall was a bit too cracked for my liking . My initial 4+ mile return commute seems to confirm the above statement .

The paintwork is very clean and tidy for a bike that is around 30 years old and looks to be of a standard showroom specification. This will be a work at it as I go along project I think for the vast majority of the required work, starting with a clean and re grease of the headset bearings. Whilst the forks are out they will get a good thorough polishing on the paintwork and chrome work . The front wheel spokes will get a light rubbing down with some wire wool to remove the tarnishing that has taken place on the galvanized items, once that has been done the hub will get a bit of attention along with some cleaning and fresh grease .

Next up will be the brake cables as they feel a bit slow on the return at the moment, once they are done new brake pads will also be fitted to give the bike a bit more stopping power . Next up will be the drive train, first of all the chain will get a bit of a cleaning to see what it looks like although in the long run I might just fit a new chain and give the rear gear block and jockey wheels a bit more of a clean . The rear wheel spokes also need a bit of de-tarnishing whilst both rims could do with some polish and elbow grease .

By the time all the above has been done it should be ready to roll. All it will need is someone to take ownership and use accordingly, it would make an ideal bike for the 2015 L’erioca

royal3.jpg
royal2.jpg
royal1.jpg

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
That's another fine Bike mate.

midlife

Guru
That's a smart looking bike, does it have little teardrops cut out of the lugs? Raleigh's take on the demi-course :smile:

Whilst polishing the front wheel lease remove the reflector lol

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Ah, could be a slightly later one with no lamp boss on the forks. Just out of curiosity is there a frame number?

Looks like a 23 1/2 inch frame :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ah, could be a slightly later one with no lamp boss on the forks. Just out of curiosity is there a frame number?

Shaun
not had chance to look at that yet , but will do later

Bobtoo

Über Member
Thanks to the wonders of the Wayback Machine I managed to get these pages from the 1984 catalogue. I think yours will be a 1985 model if it has the Huret ratchet shifters.

17260674432_31cf31dcf6_o.jpg

17236488156_5c8a964853_o.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Shaun

frame number is wh500149 hubs are stamped weeks 17 & 9 and year 85 so looks like a 1985 model

from centre of crank to centre of seat pinch bolt 23 1/4" just your size

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
quick update and having replaced chain,brake pads and cables along with putting some grease in the "dry" headset i can honestly say all is going well , and its time to step up the miles

Top Bottom