Random Math Question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was having a rather off-the-wall discussion with puddleglum tonight what would happen if I could be shrunk to be only 6 inches tall (and no, there were no drugs or alcohol involved), which then led us to wonder how heavy I would be. Neither of us could work it out, because clearly my weight would not just be a straightforward percentage of my new height, as I would shrink in proportion, i.e. my "depth" would reduce at the same time.

So, if I'm 6 foot tall now and weigh 67kgs, how much would I weigh if I was 6 inches?

Although I realise the answer is pretty irrelevant in the greater scheme of things as the shrink is unlikely to happen, it is bugging me now, so I need to know...

Can anybody tell me how to work it out please???

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is a simple scaling of dimensional analysis in actual fact. You're right it's not an easy percentage though because it's too small.

If you go from 6 inches tall to 6ft tall that is a scaling in z by a factor of 12. Similarly if you scale by 12 in the two other physically extended dimensions you get a factor of 12 for each of those. This works wlog applied to anything. It only works of course if you keep density the same and stay in the same place.

So you'd get 12x12x12 mini yous into one Punkypossum. So mini you would weigh about 38 or 39 grams.

oxbob

puddleglum said:
I like the idea of a 38g Punky. When she came for tea one little bit of sweetcorn and a single biscuit crumb would be more than adequate....
And your diet would be out the window,who would finish off your tiffin eh?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
puddleglum said:
I like the idea of a 38g Punky. When she came for tea one little bit of sweetcorn and a single biscuit crumb would be more than adequate....

If Punky was reduced to a 12th of her height, that would mean we could 1728 of her. We could all have one.

Being that small would make cycling a lot more difficult though, as the air would seem like treacle.

puddleglum

oxbob said:
And your diet would be out the window,who would finish off your tiffin eh?

She could have a new job, sitting on my shoulder, nagging straight into my earhole every time a piece of tiffin was being raised to my lips. Oh hang on, that wouldn't feel much different ;)
If there were over a 1000 of her, everyone on cycle chat could have a new little mascot on their stem....

Mr Pig

punkypossum said:
what would happen if I could be shrunk to be only 6 inches tall?

You'd still be ugly, just that it would require a magnifying glass to tell ;0)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if she was really small she could be Hugh Jackman's 'love interest' in his next film, and they wouldn't have to cut a trench for her to walk in.....

Top Bottom