Rapha

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

it is what global capitalism is all about folks. Some stuff made in Britain. Much more stuff made in China. If you query it they will politely tell you that the cost advantage is only secondary, it is all about the quality of the workmanship (which fair play, is probably uneconomic to achieve in the UK at skilled labour rates whilst retaining their margins), craftmanship and reliable delivery. and they may even bleat on about they hardly made any profit for years.

Do they actually use a sweat shop then, or do you just dislike them taking advantage of lower labor costs? It is possible to have the later without the former.

yello

I did wonder if the use of the term 'sweat shop' might have been a tad emotive!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
D'oh caught out so easily!!! :whistle:

I will never ever ever wear arm warmers. If I ever turn up to a ride in arm warmers, staple me to the middle of the road at Hyde Park Corner. (which is where all arm warmer wearing people should be!! :tongue:)

Getting off subject perhaps - but just what is wrong with arm warmers? I find them (along with leg warmers) one of the most useful items of kit (Rapha or Aldi)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Getting off subject perhaps - but just what is wrong with arm warmers? I find them (along with leg warmers) one of the most useful items of kit (Rapha or Aldi)

Nothing. They're an ideal solution for long rides in the Autumn, where you might start off in chilly weather & end in nice sunny warmish weather.

Unless you like carrying a jacket around, I guess.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike

I just struggle to see the point. If it's cold wear a long sleeve jersey or jacket. I can understand them if you're riding up and down an Alp where there is a huge variation in temperature but for most rides in the UK I don't think they are necessary and are just a way of fleecing those people that think they need them.

Take this week in London as an example, Monday started of at around 9C (6.30ish in the morning) and warmed to around 13C. This if you're cycling is short sleeved top weather. Now today, started at aroun 0C predicted to rise to around 9C so can be classed as cold enough for long sleeves.

At the end of the day feel free to ignore me though as I'm only winding up those people that I actually know who show up with arm warmers....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I did wonder if the use of the term 'sweat shop' might have been a tad emotive!

I know what you mean, it gives me pause for thought as well, there does seem to be the automatic assumption that anything made in certain countries is made in a sweat shop. But then you look at Rapha prices compared to Shutt and you wonder. Theoretically Rapha could pay a UK manufacturer double the amount Shutt is paying, based on the Shutt prices. Assuming that Shutt are making a reasonable profit it does make you think.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I just struggle to see the point. If it's cold wear a long sleeve jersey or jacket. I can understand them if you're riding up and down an Alp where there is a huge variation in temperature but for most rides in the UK I don't think they are necessary and are just a way of fleecing those people that think they need them.

Take this week in London as an example, Monday started of at around 9C (6.30ish in the morning) and warmed to around 13C. This if you're cycling is short sleeved top weather. Now today, started at aroun 0C predicted to rise to around 9C so can be classed as cold enough for long sleeves.

At the end of the day feel free to ignore me though as I'm only winding up those people that I actually know who show up with arm warmers....

- if you can't afford much kit, arm warmers are even more useful, as you don't need to buy a L/S jersey (they tend to be silly money, Rapha or not), all you need is a S/S top and arm warmers. Tights are expensive too, and I find it well nigh impossible to find ones that fit, so again as a minimum all you need are shorts and leg warmers. I often find that at the start of a ride at this time of year it is cold enough to need long sleeves ( and a thin, wind resistant top - the other essential), but by mid morning it is much more comfortable and the top can be pocketed, and warmers rolled down - easy!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I know what you mean, it gives me pause for thought as well, there does seem to be the automatic assumption that anything made in certain countries is made in a sweat shop.

I was thinking about this earlier, to think that all workers in other countries are working for bugger all just isn't the case although some companies have picked up a nasty reputation for exploitation and quite righly so. Let's hope that Rapha are doing the decent thing and ensuring people working for them are getting a fair wage. I know one line they had was made using a workers co-op, so they are capable of organising things properly.

e-rider

crappy member
Rapha - I'm interested by comments such as "quality is expensive".

This is clearly not the case with Rapha (in most cases).

Rapha is expensive because that is the way they have created their brand image; knowing that there are plenty of people out there that will want (and are able) to buy the most expensive item on the peg, just because it's the most expensive. It makes such people feel worth more.

IME Rapha products are not very high quality, and the quality is certainly not in line with the price tag.

dodgy

Ha! I didn't mention 'chavability' at all!
Lidl and Aldi rubbish is 'chavtastic',

Chavs/Scallys/Neds or whatever you want to call them wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl gear. That's the whole point, they manage to scrape money together to wear branded stuff, the more expensive the brand the better.

Aldi and Lidl gear is not 'chavtastic', it's just good value / budget kit.

I don't wear Aldi or Lidl by the way, I ride enough miles to justify better quality kit, but I also don't wear Rapha.

e-rider

crappy member
Chavs/Scallys/Neds or whatever you want to call them wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl gear. That's the whole point, they manage to scrape money together to wear branded stuff, the more expensive the brand the better.

Aldi and Lidl gear is not 'chavtastic', it's just good value / budget kit.

I don't wear Aldi or Lidl by the way, I ride enough miles to justify better quality kit, but I also don't wear Rapha.

+1

Rapha certainly isn't the cool brand it want's to be. Chavs are more brand aware than any 'normal' person; BUT they have to operate within their limited budget so don't get to buy the stuff they really want. eg. a chav cyclist would certainly head straight for the Rapha peg

Howard

IME Rapha products are not very high quality, and the quality is certainly not in line with the price tag.

The Rapha kit I have seems pretty good to me - but then again it's only socks and a bag. Couple of friends of mine recommend the stowaway jackets. Have you owned anything of theirs?

Anyway, the 'Rapha kit - nice but pricey?' thread is this way >>>>>>

Top Bottom