Rate my gardening chances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Crackle,
I'm afraid you need to start again. Hire a rotovator, let that do most of the work. Then rake the soil as level as you can get it, and remove as many stones as possible. Once as level as you can manage walk up and down the soil in rows, firming the soil as you go. Rake the soil again, removing any more stones. Tread and rake again.
Once you are happy that you have a nice fine tilth that's even then you can sow the seed. Sow it like you did in the picture, then rake over the area again.
Now comes the important bit- irrigate daily. Not just getting the surface wet, but giving it a good soaking.
At present it is still a bit too cold for grass seed to germinate as it likes a soil temp around 10 degrees.
Once germinated you need to let the grass reach 4 inches before you cut it. Use a rotary mower on the highest setting. Keep it irrigated right through the summer.
The alternative is to turf, you'll still have to rotovate etc, but you'll get quicker results.
If you need any more advice, just ask. Don't go to a gardening forum, they're full of eejits, like bike forums really.
Looking at your avatar picture dave, I reckon you've got higher standards than me :smile: You are probably right though. I just don't have the patience for gardening. I'm quite good at ripping stuff out though.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I am to gardening what @threebikesmcginty is to DIY

Just found my cordless screwdriver, put it on to charge after the blind fixing nonsense on Saturday, it's quite hot, I think that must mean it's fully charged.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

[QUOTE 3031250, member: 9609"]wish I had read this thread this morning - just sewn a patch and watered it in about an hour ago - soil temp is only 7c

@Crackle the race is on, who's will turn green first[/QUOTE]
Picture, we need a reference point.

Mine I reckon. your summer is august the 11th this year, then it's winter again.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Looking at your avatar picture dave, I reckon you've got higher standards than me :smile: You are probably right though. I just don't have the patience for gardening. I'm quite good at ripping stuff out though.

Believe me, I have much higher standards:thumbsup:. If I could be bothered to work out how to post picturesI'd post some from my day job..The avatar is in my mums garden on the Wirral.

You could get some nice packets of wildflower seed, have a butterfly garden.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3031250, member: 9609"]wish I had read this thread this morning - just sewn a patch and watered it in about an hour ago - soil temp is only 7c

@Crackle the race is on, who's will turn green first[/QUOTE]

I chanced sowing some seed last month in very protected areas and it was still patchy.
You could cover it up with a fleece floating mulch, that will lift the temp.

Or (didn't think of it before) have a vegetable garden there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfCooJ1f6q1lBNGFNqnhL1tY87-wQtdRazj6BTjv9G_LbxudQ-.jpg

Top Bottom