Read a good book lately ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Ive just read Bikie and rough ride for the umpteenth time brilliant books I can reccomend if you havnt read them,but on the lookout for new material (not Armstrongs please) what can anybody suggest.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Several I have read recently, all excellent:

Plato's Children (Anthony O'Hear, 2008)
The Shack (Wm Paul Young, 2006)
The Violence Inside (Paul Tournier, 1976)
The Fear of Freedom (Erich Fromm, 1941)
Die Traumdeutung (Sigmund Freud, 1889)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No, but I have read some terrible dross lately. I really don't know how some of them get published in the first place.

Me too, rich! At the moment I am trying to finish 'The Devil's Feather' by Minette Walters - not saying it is a bad book, but perhaps not my cup of tea. Also reading 'Merde Actually' by Stephen Clarke - his writing is always good for a snigger or two without too much effort.

Oh yes - doing a bit of Bertrand Russell - Have re-read the first two pages. I thought I was sitting at the table reading until I realised there was no table...:angry:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Me too, rich! At the moment I am trying to finish 'The Devil's Feather' by Minette Walters - not saying it is a bad book, but perhaps not my cup of tea. Also reading 'Merde Actually' by Stephen Clarke - his writing is always good for a snigger or two without too much effort.

Oh yes - doing a bit of Bertrand Russell - Have re-read the first two pages. I thought I was sitting at the table reading until I realised there was no table...:angry:

There was a table but you just weren't aware of it.

The Merde books I had read were a nice easy read but the last one in the US was drivel. Taking the formula a step too far. I'll send it to you if you wish!

The others were

Seeking Provence - Nicholas Wordsworth (a Peter Mayle type)

Last Rituals - Yrsa Sigurdardottir ( an appallingly translated Icelandic thriller)

It's Not About the Tapas - Polly Evans ( a cycling tour of Spain by a serial whinger)

rich p said:
There was a table but you just weren't aware of it.

The Merde books I had read were a nice easy read but the last one in the US was drivel. Taking the formula a step too far. I'll send it to you if you wish!

The others were

Seeking Provence - Nicholas Wordsworth (a Peter Mayle type)

Last Rituals - Yrsa Sigurdardottir ( an appallingly translated Icelandic thriller)

It's Not About the Tapas - Polly Evans ( a cycling tour of Spain by a serial whinger)

When I have finished the Bertie Russell, I'll give it some serious thought rich, ta. :angry:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm a book reviewer so I get sent masses of books that are utter dross. Completely rubbish, some of 'em. There are occasional reasonable reads, though. 'God's own country' on the American Christian Right by Stephen Bates (Guardian journalist) was a fascinating, if scary, read.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I normally revert back to non-fiction after I've been badly burned by the novel genre although trying to wade through Kingsley Amis' biography which my daughter bought me was a bridge too far!

Top Bottom