England : Berkshire Reading CTC night ride to Lymington Friday 19th September 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
So we ride again on our third time to Lymington departing Reading at midnight and you are welcome to join us.

Our past 2 rides to Lymington captured the imaginations of some of you so much that half the group came from outside of the "greater" Reading area. Can we do it again? Please do, you're more than welcome. We're constrained only by the size of the ferry between Southampton and Hythe over the river Test; it's a small one so first come first served.

We clear the urbanity of Reading within 20 minutes and there's barely a call of "Car up/car down" until around 6am. Our route dives on a more or less south-south-west direction through Basingstoke (you'll be glad it's dark) and Winchester via the spookiest underground route, stopping awhile for a cuppa at 3pm beside a 24 hour petrol station - if that doesn't float your boat then bring your own choice of refreshments. Our speed is dictacted by the Hythe Ferry which starts at 7.30am but there's a fairish cafe at the port to while away the wait.

A couple of changes to note for this year. We start at Reading Station (South-side besides the Three Guineas pub) and our end is a different cafe but with new improved views of the Solent (slighty pricier but I'm attempting to negotiating a "deal").

Train back from Lymington although you'll probably do better to ride first to Brockenhurst and catch a more direct train from there (the train manager last year on the Lymington to Brockenhurst stretch was a bit...well, awkward would be polite).

It will be cold at night so wrap up warm and do ensure your bike is serviced before the ride.

This is how to join in so I can arrange the ferry and breakfast.

CTC members from outside of the Reading CTC member group? Can I have your CTC membership number and mobile number please.

Non-CTC member? No problem, I just need to know and can only have 5 on the ride. Oh, and your mobile number.

We'll operate the usual procedures of back-marking and way-marking to ensure the safety of the ride and most importantly, we don't leave anyone behind. So no matter your speed we'll keep the ride moving in the right direction and all together. This is a Reading CTC ride; social cycling for all.

Questions? The usual address, events@readingctc.co.uk, and number, 07846 219114.

Thanks

Simon Bird

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I've been waiting for a thread to appear for this after spotting it on the FNRttC calendar. PM on its way

Rustybucket

Veteran
Would have been up for this as I am originally from lymington, however my wife is due to give birth on the 21st so pretty sure I won't be allowed to go, maybe next year....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Possible. A certain (very) recently retired German chap is popping over for a charity ride in the area that Saturday, might be joining him instead. Can't really do both, the start for that is too early.

Expressing interest... as last year's reports were so good! Checking train times & prices...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Oops - thread hijack. Yes, it's all still there and very little has actually been done to the junction barring some lights and paint redistribution.

Just made gentle enquiries with the Doris about joining this and received a high-eyebrowed stare. This is not good. So I'm a no. Enjoy the ride y'all.

Lisat

I would like to join this ride, need to check out a couple of things first. That's if there is still a non ctc place available.
Lisa

Top Bottom