England : Berkshire Reading CTC night ride to Lymington Friday 19th September 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
email sent

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
... and train tickets bought. I'll be arriving Reading 20:59hrs. Anyone fancy meeting up for a pre-ride bite?

As for the return journy, I'll be on the 11:15hrs train from Brockenhurst to Waterloo. Really looing forward to this ride!

I'm in - email sent and acknowledged. I'm booked from Lymington departing 11:59 but may do as Simon suggests and just cycle up to Brockenhurst (where I have to change trains anyway) for the 12:15 departure to Waterloo.

Looking forward to it all very much! Except for the cycle across London when the sleep deprivation will have kicked in... :tired:

Ollie W

Cycling pls
@redfalo I'll be aiming for a 21:04 arrival if I can sprint out of work in time (15 mins to get from WestQuay to Southampton Central... hmm), will gladly have a bite with you if so!

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
There is an excellent very bike friendly Tandoori Restaurant about 5 minutes ride from the Station so if people are interested let me know and I will talk to the management.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Possible. A certain (very) recently retired German chap is popping over for a charity ride in the area that Saturday, might be joining him instead. Can't really do both, the start for that is too early.
And I'm doing that rather than this. Hopefully we'll be celebrating his new hour record....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Two possibles here - logistics not yet sorted out, but looking distinctly feasible. To be followed on the Sunday by a Surrey Hills London 100 completists' ride. Are there plans for post-breakfast refreshment?

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Grrr. As things stand I'm working on the Saturday which sucks as this is the first friday ride I've been able to make (and, seeing as the FNRttC is closing for a year, probably the last in a while!). Gutted. However, I don't start til 12. Does anyone know from previous experience when you tend to get to Southampton? I'm wondering if it's possible to ride Reading to Southampton, have a kip and then go to work...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Grrr. As things stand I'm working on the Saturday which sucks as this is the first friday ride I've been able to make (and, seeing as the FNRttC is closing for a year, probably the last in a while!). Gutted. However, I don't start til 12. Does anyone know from previous experience when you tend to get to Southampton? I'm wondering if it's possible to ride Reading to Southampton, have a kip and then go to work...
First off, the FNRttC is not closing for a year- Simon is taking a few months off and the schedule will be lighter when he resumes, but plans are already afoot for two foreign tours. And take it from me, there will be night rides next spring, those of us willing and able to organise them will be doing so. Many of the same bods, the popular destinations, to the same well-crafted formula.
Last year we reached the half-way stop at Eastleigh at 3.45 or so. We got the Hythe ferry at 7.30, and we'd been there in plenty of time.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Ok, misunderstood about the FNRttC then, sorry. Thanks for that, should be in my bed by about 5 then which seems reasonable if I have to go that way!

frank9755

Cyclist
So, train-expert-people, do I need a booking with a bike reservation to get back from Brockenhurst, or do they tend to let more on?
I'm finding it increasingly tedious to put in train times to the East Coast site and get told 'no cycle spaces' on any of them.

My limited experience of SWT is that extra people do pile on, but it is based on just one journey (which involved Uta's front wheel being damaged beyond repair!)

Top Bottom