FNRttC Reading Curry Ride Friday 23rd September 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Ladies and Gentleman,

The next Friday Night Ride to the Coast is taking place on the 23rd September 2016 and registration is now open. Please register your interest by using the following link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...v7-kt7fNMF99i32i-nD0MZKzNaOQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

I would like to invite you to an unusual ride for The Fridays as we don’t depart from London or arrive on the Coast for breakfast instead for those who undertake this adventure will be completing a circular route of about 65 miles through the beautiful countryside that Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire has to offer including some of the gorgeous 'ups and downs' the Chilterns has to offer. This will not be a flat ride but there is nothing which should concern you if you have a reasonable range of gears. Like all Friday's rides no one will be left behind as we will deploy the well tested system of Waymarkers and Tail End Charlies.

For those who need water for their night riding pleasure please don’t worry the magnificent River Thames will not be far away and will be crossed on a number occasions as we navigate our way around the route including a weir. Unlike the rides that start at Hyde Park Corner we will leave urban traffic behind within minutes of departing and find ourselves travelling down quiet country lanes.

The halfway stop will be at Velolife a dedicated cycle café which has kindly offered to open their doors in the early hours to nourish us with delicious coffee, rolls and cake.

We will be departing at Midnight from the north side of Reading Railway Station (back entrance adjacent to platform 15) and I ask that participants arrive by 11.30pm to sign in and receive the safety briefing ready for a prompt departure at midnight.

Hopefully we will be joined by some members from Reading CTC.

Reading is served by various frequent trains services. You can either travel from London Paddington on the very regular High Speed Service which takes about 25mins. However bikes reservations need to be made in advance with a maximum of 6 bikes per train. There is also a regular stopping service which takes about an hour and has no bike reservation issues.

Those of you travelling from South or South West London you might prefer to use the twice hourly South West train service from Waterloo which stops at Clapham Junction and Richmond and also takes about an hour to reach Reading and there are also no need for bike reservations.

For those wondering why it is called the Reading Curry Ride then for those who are interested we will be visiting the Standard Tandoori in Reading for a pre ride meal. If interested in eating please email fridaynightridetothecoast@gmail.com putting 'Curry' in the title. Please arrive by 9.30pm so we can depart and cycle the five minutes to the restrauant. The Standard Tandoori are very bike friendly and have a secure rear yard which we can store our bikes in.

Looking forward to seeing many returning and new faces soon on this not to be missed ride.

Titus

Ride Leader.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Typo
The next Friday Night Ride to the Coast is taking place on the 23rd September 2015

just saying, looks ace

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cool, I wondered what the curry angle would be. Will commence negotiations with my better half tonight; she's still not a fan of me arriving home looking half-dead at Saturday lunchtime. Spending the afternoon sleeping is frowned upon too, someone has to look after the children.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[...]There is also a regular stopping service which takes about an hour and has no bike reservation issues.

Those of you travelling from South or South West London you might prefer to use the twice hourly South West train service from Waterloo which stops at Clapham Junction and Richmond and also takes about an hour to reach Reading but there are also no need for bike reservations.
I think that but should be and

Very interested. Will scurry away to look at diary and try to plan potential Saturday Morning route.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

At present I am not a member, if I become an affiliate member through the Fridays are their any differences to joining personally? Will the benefits be exactly the same?

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

At present I am not a member, if I become an affiliate member through the Fridays are their any differences to joining personally? Will the benefits be exactly the same?

Short answer is no but it's not just down to not getting a copy of Cycle magazine six times a year it's all about who you can ride with and the level of insurance.

As an affiliated member you can only ride with the club you joined through. As a full member you can ride with the affiliated group and any Cycling UK Members Group such as Reading CTC and other affiliated groups you join.

When it comes to Third Party Insurance it is the same regardless of being a full or affiliated member but only full members have access to legal advce and representation

So it makes sense to have full membership.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Short answer is no but it's not just down to not getting a copy of Cycle magazine six times a year it's all about who you can ride with and the level of insurance.

As an affiliated member you can only ride with the club you joined through. As a full member you can ride with the affiliated group and any Cycling UK Members Group such as Reading CTC and other affiliated groups you join.

When it comes to insurance you are only covered for your affliated club rides for third party incidents you cause and those you are a victim of. Full membership gets 365 day cover regardless of being on an organised ride or not. Finally one of the key points only full Members have access to legal advice and representation.

Ok many thanks, thats quite a hit in benefits for the sake of a few quid saved then.

Full membership is the way to go.

Tim Hall

When it comes to insurance you are only covered for your affliated club rides for third party incidents you cause and those you are a victim of. Full membership gets 365 day cover regardless of being on an organised ride or not. Finally one of the key points only full Members have access to legal advice and representation.

Was the ride only with your affiliated club bit always like that, or is it a recent change?

Edit: In fact I can't see anything on the Cycling UK website that suggests that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Was the ride only with your affiliated club bit always like that, or is it a recent change?

Edit: In fact I can't see anything on the Cycling UK website that suggests that.

It has always been the case. It was a surprise to me too when I was informed on a CTC Ride Leaders course. That's why it's called affiliated membership as your are in essence only buying insurance cover. In theory you would need to buy a new affliated membership for each affliated club you are a member of to ride with them

Last edited:

Tim Hall

It has always been the case. It was a surprise to me too when I was informed on a CTC Ride Leaders course. That's why it's called affiliated membership as your are in essence only buying insurance cover for let's say The Fridays. In theory you would need to buy a new affliated membership for each affliated club you are a member of.
Hmm, poking around on the CyclingUK website I found this:
Cycling UK members are automatically covered up to £10 million by this policy, including using cycles for business use. But note that you are NOT covered if you are specifically employed as a cyclist, for example as a bike messenger. It is not possible to buy this policy separately from Cycling UK membership, although members of affiliated clubs can take it out at reduced rates.

Members of bodies that affiliate to Cycling UK can obtain our Third Party insurance at a discounted rate, which covers them against any damage or injury they cause whilst riding their bikes, whether with the affiliated body or not. It does cover individuals who cycle in time trials and sportives but not in any other kind of competitive cycling.

(my bold)
Which is not what you said, or what you've been told. I may have misinterpreted it though, but it does appear clear to me. Link to where I found it :http://www.cyclinguk.org/insurance/third-party-insurance

Top Bottom