Rear hub/cassette upgrade recommendation for Birdy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Get fully suspended bike and complain about bobbing. They used stock red suspension block for review. I just couldn’t ride it with red suspension block as it was so soft it’s impossible to ride without bobbing really. Ordered hard one and now the bike rides like a dream. Also changed tires to Big Apples and now it’s even more comfortable on bumpy roads.

Get Birdy with 20 degrees “sport” stem with extended sporty reach and complain that it maybe too short for tall riders. Mine has “comfortable” 9 degrees stem and on highest position it brings handlebars about 1cm above the saddle high (I’m 184cm). Not really upright riding position, but definitely not a low one and pretty comfortable for me.

I agree with your statement about their lack of experience/daily use before review.

Rear rack design is excellent. Not only it folds and allows to roll the folded bike, it’s positioned high enough to use full size panniers, which they didn’t mention in the review at all. I don’t know any other folding bike that allows using full size panniers.

My only complaint is crappy supernova front light. While “Made in Germany “ it’s optical performance is total crap, very narrow and dim beam. Can’t use it after using Edelux II on my Brompton.

I’m very happy with my Birdy, specially considering that it cost me €1780 after tax refund.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
I don’t know any other folding bike that allows using full size panniers.
Now you do ;):
38341850vw.jpg

(Panniers go below the seat onto the black hooks on the frame)
38341845tw.jpg

Honestly, there are a couple. If the rear rack is positioned high above the wheel and it goes far back (to avoid heelstrike) it is no an issue. Obviously with folding recumbents it is pretty easier to fit full size panniers - apart from the Radnabel shown above also with i.e. the HP Velotechnik Grasshopper and pretty much any other folding recumbent or folding trike.
With normal upright folders those who are intended for touring typically do offer that (like i.e. the Bike Fridays) and with many others you can either add a rear rack that offers that or pimp the existing one.

My only complaint is crappy supernova front light. While “Made in Germany “ it’s optical performance is total crap, very narrow and dim beam. Can’t use it after using Edelux II on my Brompton.
Agree with you in the regard that I prefer the Edelux over Supernova by far. The Birdy is equipped with the E3pure which I only saw on trade fairs and disliked massively for the reasons you mention. I do have an E3pro on a used Brompton I bought and it is not as bad. Still miles away from the Edelux for my taste, but better than the E3pure.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Here is more comprehensive review of the Birdy. While also Mark 3 and Touring, it’s an Asian version, so drivetrain/brakes are different to R&M Touring. However all key points of the review are valid for R&M Birdy Touring too. Owner also upgraded the drivetrain and added front derailleur for the reasons similar to my.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I said folding bikes, not harley davidson!

D7159CFF-3003-46BD-B4CA-F3D38D25DC1D.jpeg

Interesting bike though. Not sure how comfortable is this saddle, looks small and pretty upright. Also the front fork seems to be ready to snap as soon as you put some weight on the front rack.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I said folding bikes, not harley davidson!

View attachment 656912

Interesting bike though. Not sure how comfortable is this saddle, looks small and pretty upright. Also the front fork seems to be ready to snap as soon as you put some weight on the front rack.

You should not judge on things you don't understand. The Radnabel Recument is available since the mid nineties, the folding version since the early 2000s. The front rack takes 30kg, the rear rack (not mounted in the picture) takes 20kg, the pannier hooks take 10kg each. The bike rides extremely comfortable and is extremely durable and every single component and part of the construction is of excellent and outstanding quality. You can even have a clever huge folding fairing that integrates with a raincape - I don't know of a better all year bike. I do own the pictured folder and a non-folding one. The non-folding one is my "tractor" - the all year-carry-everyhing including the kitchen sink bike. I used i.e. it together with a trailer to move to the home office at the beginning of covid. When the fairing is not mounted over the summer months I usually have (as most owners) a giant basket on the front rack.
Regarding the seat: It looks a bit unsual but it is comfy. And it is btw a fast bike.
After your learnings regarding the Brompton I had assumed you had overcome your prejudices and were open minded. Seems not to be the case. Homemade limitation I'd say.

Top Bottom