rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza19

hi i have disconnected the cable but when i turn the pedals it goes from the bottom cog straight into the 1st gear can anyone tell me why this is as when everytime i have replaced cables i have done it on the bottom cog 1st and indexed the gears using the adjuster

raleighnut

Legendary Member
hi i have disconnected the cable but when i turn the pedals it goes from the bottom cog straight into the 1st gear can anyone tell me why this is as when everytime i have replaced cables i have done it on the bottom cog 1st and indexed the gears using the adjuster
Sounds like a 'reverse swing' derailleur mech, instead of them going to the smallest sprocket with no tension they go to the largest, google how to set them up (they're awful to work on and to ride BTW)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Which is the 'bottom' cog? What is "1st gear"?
The OP has a 'Rapid Rise' rear mech, if you take the cable off they are sprung toward the largest rear sprocket instead of the smallest like a 'normal' mech does. Quite baffling when you come across em for the first time though.

I had one on a new MTB I bought 12-15yrs back, it lasted a week before I took it off a fitted a conventional one. (its still hanging on a hook in my bike shed)

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

The OP has a 'Rapid Rise' rear mech, if you take the cable off they are sprung toward the largest rear sprocket instead of the smallest like a 'normal' mech does. Quite baffling when you come across em for the first time though.

I had one on a new MTB I bought 12-15yrs back, it lasted a week before I took it off a fitted a conventional one. (its still hanging on a hook in my bike shed)
do you use the limit srews the same as on a normal one

Ajax Bay

Guru
ajax bay the biggest cog on the rear is the 1st gear and the smallest cog is your highest gear
A 'cog' is not a gear. A combination of the large(st) chainring and the smallest sprocket affords one the longest and highest gear. A combination of the small(est) chainring and the largest sprocket affords one the shortest and lowest gear (for climbing).
Bottom cog? 1st gear? AASHTA
"Gear Numbering
People often want to number their gears sequentially, and will sometimes speak of "7th gear" or "13 th gear." There is, however no standardized way to designate gears in sequence by a single number. If you wish to give your bike's gears sequence numbers, that's fine, but don't expect to be able to communicate with anybody else using those numbers."

Top Bottom