Rear mounted bike carriers.......what do YOU do with loose straps & wheels ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just got myself a Saris Bones 3 and used it yesterday for 2 bikes. It's really solid and I'm quite impressed.
BUT...........
There are 6 straps/hooks (2 each tor upper, lower & side).
Once tightened there are lots of straps hanging loose.
Yesterday...........on the way out I rolled straps up and used gafa tape.........worked well.
on way back I simply tied them together and that also worked.
Just wondered what system others have developed (so I can copy :smile: ).

Similarly..........for the wheels & pedals I used bungies. These worked OK.
Again......just wondering what others do.

Jayaly

We generally use the hanging ends to secure the wheels, or tie them to a convenient part of the bike frame. I'd never thought of the pedals as an area of concern. I quite like our Bones, although it's a bit of a lift to get my heavy bike with a child seat up onto it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We generally use the hanging ends to secure the wheels, or tie them to a convenient part of the bike frame. I'd never thought of the pedals as an area of concern. I quite like our Bones, although it's a bit of a lift to get my heavy bike with a child seat up onto it.
Thanks
Good idea that...........I will try it.
I did think of using those ties you get with sandwich bags.
re' pedals............I am mentally linking them to the wheels as if the wheel rear wheel turns then so will the pedal.
My hard tail (like most newish bikes) has got a sloping frame/top bar and it is difficult to get it over the plastic fixing straps (the ones attached to the arms).

Jayaly

My hard tail (like most newish bikes) has got a sloping frame/top bar and it is difficult to get it over the plastic fixing straps (the ones attached to the arms).

Yeah, I have a similar problem as mine is a women's bike with a sloping top bar. We hoist it onto the first cradle then bunny hop it onto the next cradle from there. The true horror lies with my son's full suspension BSO. We have to remove one of the fixing straps from an unused cradle and double it up with another one to get it round the frame.

Joffey

Big Dosser

Yep, I use my straps to secure the wheels. Haven't used my Bones for ages though. Got an estate and just throw the bikes in the boot now. Might flog it.

Top Bottom