Rear mounted cycle carriers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howard2107

I have searched previous threads, but can't find what i am looking for.
I need to obtain a cycle carrier, but don't want to spend the earth cos the car gets replaced next year with a new one.
When i get the new car i will spec a factory carrier for it so it will come equipped, but in the meantime i have been looking at the rear tailgate mounted type things that sits across the back window. I appreciate that they are cheap for a reason, but are they any good? will it stay on the car,? don't want to have bits of bike causing carnage on the M62.

I have a hatchback car and if the carrier sits across the window i wont need to mess about with lights and number plates because they are low down and will be below the bike carrier.

Opinions and comments please!

rovers1875

Veteran
I had the Aldi 3 bike carrier, it regularly carried 2/ 3 mountain bike without any problems. I must admit I was always checking that they remained secure (they never once came loose) It was very simple to adjust and fit and once set up for the car, it could be fitted in less than 5 mins. I fitted it to a Nissan Note, Vauxhall Zafira and a Renault Megane. I have now passed it on to my daughter and she has it on a Fiat 500. They are simple and basic, but they do work

alicat

Legendary Member
If the car is going to be replaced next year, I would find a way to fit the bikes inside the car eg with the back seats down and the front wheel out.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have (think so, in the shed) a Halfords 2 bike one, it has fitted on various hatchback/SUV cars I've had & its been fine, tension it on the car, load it up, retension the straps and you're good to go. I've driven plenty of motorway miles without incident and without worrying after the first successful trip.

@howard2107 I'm only in Oldham, I'll have a rummage tomorrow for it, you're welcome to have it if you wish. May need a toestrap or two for securing the bikes on but they're easily got.

OP
OP
howard2107

howard2107

I have (think so, in the shed) a Halfords 2 bike one, it has fitted on various hatchback/SUV cars I've had & its been fine, tension it on the car, load it up, retension the straps and you're good to go. I've driven plenty of motorway miles without incident and without worrying after the first successful trip.

@howard2107 I'm only in Oldham, I'll have a rummage tomorrow for it, you're welcome to have it if you wish. May need a toestrap or two for securing the bikes on but they're easily got.
Nice one thanks very much, how do i PM you my details in case you find it?

OP
OP
howard2107

howard2107

If the car is going to be replaced next year, I would find a way to fit the bikes inside the car eg with the back seats down and the front wheel out.
Trying to avoid having to clear the boot out, putting seats down etc, and i work from home so want to take bike with me on occasions as well.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice one thanks very much, how do i PM you my details in case you find it?

No worries & I've got it and plenty of straps to secure the bikes to it.

The conversation tab is on your profile drop down at the top of the page, I'll start a chat and send you my details and contact info, you'll see an alert on the inbox tab.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got Halfords budget 3 bike rear carrier and I simply can't fault it. It holds the bikes high enough as to leave the lights unobscured and it is solid as a rock once fitted.
Admittedly it might be a tight fit to get 3 adult bikes on it, but it copes fine with our two.

Sandra6

Veteran
If you go on the Halfords website it will tell you if the carrier fits your car. A general rule with the olderr ones was that they need two points at the rear to be anchored to, towing point and exhaust clamp for example. Not the plastic bumper.

Drago

Legendary Member
You want one that doesn't rest on the glass. In the good weather we get a couple of Jon's a day where the glass has broken and left a hideous trail of squashed bicycles in the carriageway.

stephec

Legendary Member
How about a Thule roof bar and carrier set up?

When you replace the car you'll just need new feet mountings, and the old ones can be ebay'd to recoup a bit of their cost.

Top Bottom