Rear "Retro" bike lights L. Must take AA batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

Let's try again!

Like using these with some second generation NiMH batteries. Good chance when I need them they will still have power in them. Specially if I change the bulb to LED. The latter can increase brightness by x10. Not thinking of the bulky rectangular ones that take D batteries. THANKS FOR READING. Ignore the L in the title, can't seem to edit it. SD
My tablet is shite.
The LED bulbs I am going to use are direct replacements for the bulbs in the lights. Nice bulbs are the manufacturer. My tablet is cheapo and is ultra shite.

Last edited:
Huh.

OP
OP
S

SD1

The LED bulbs I am going to use are direct replacements for the bulbs in the lights. Nice bulbs are the manufacturer

OP
OP
S

SD1

AA battery holder, solder or croc clips, you're sorted.
Not sure what you mean? The battery holder is the light itself. I just change the bulb so the batteries last longer and the light is brighter.

Drago

Legendary Member
Google or eBay search "AA battery holder." They enable you to mate 2 or 4 (or more) AA batteries. If you've got an old light it was probably designed for big old D cells, which means there'll be plenty of room inside for you to slip in a battery holder with 2 or 4 rechargeables, which would be ample if you're running an LED.

A Battery holder can also be a "sleeve":

sku_13814_4.jpg

Allows an AA battery to be used in the slot for a bigger battery

Beware though that the battery life will be far less than that of the bigger battery

OP
OP
S

SD1

Google or eBay search "AA battery holder." They enable you to mate 2 or 4 (or more) AA batteries. If you've got an old light it was probably designed for big old D cells, which means there'll be plenty of room inside for you to slip in a battery holder with 2 or 4 rechargeables, which would be ample if you're running an LED.
I am on the scrounge!! I have one light which takes 4 AA batteries. In fact the front light takes 6 AA batteries and the lenses are interchangeable. The old rectangular ones are to bulky for a seatpost. The bulbs (nice light bulbs) run at voltages between 1.5 and 9 volts and are direct replacements for the bulb that was in the light.

Lonestar

Veteran
2mfzq76.jpg

I use these now for my lighting needs.Front light x 2 takes 1 each.1 rear light takes 1.Magicshine rear takes 4 (2 needed at minimum) (7.4v)(Batterybox) (Rechargeable) Done 7 commutes using the magicshine without a recharge.Not actually sure how many commutes use it would take till it went flat.The front lights batteries last about 2 hours.

OP
OP
S

SD1

2mfzq76.jpg

I use these now for my lighting needs.Front light x 2 takes 1 each.1 rear light takes 1.Magicshine rear takes 4 (2 needed at minimum) (7.4v)(Batterybox) (Rechargeable) Done 7 commutes using the magicshine without a recharge.Not actually sure how many commutes use it would take till it went flat.The front lights batteries last about 2 hours.
I could use them as is, as the bulbs will take any voltage between 1.5 and 9 volt. BUT for the summer in particular the lower amp NiMH will last longer (2nd or 3rd generation) as they don't or viturally don't self discharge. I have them in my back up front light and they always have about 1.5 hours charge in them even if I haven't used them for 3 months.

Top Bottom